Why Can Light Only Travel at the Speed of Light?

In summary: Lastly, is there some mathematical reasoning as to why anything with non-zero rest mass cannot reach light speed?Yes, there is a mathematical reason for this. For anything with non-zero rest mass, it would take an infinite amount of energy to travel at the speed of light.
Greatness
Pardon my elementary questions, but:
Why is it that photons can only travel at the speed of light?
I know because they have zero rest-mass it is only possible for them to travel at c, but is there some mathematical reasoning to this through the mass and momentum equivalence equation?

Lastly, is there some mathematical reasoning as to why anything with non-zero rest mass cannot reach light speed? I understand it would take infinite energy, but can that be reasoned mathematically, or is it solely physics?

Thanks, once again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just two days ago, someone else asked very similar questions in this thread:

has relativistic mass gone out of fashion?

In that thread, I gave what I thought was a relevant answer in post #33. Why don't you have a look at it and see if it helps you?

Likes 1 person
Greatness said:
Why is it that photons can only travel at the speed of light?

That question is basically asking why light travels at the speed of light... it has to, because that is what "the speed of light" means.

However, you may be trying to ask a different question: "Why is the speed of light what it is?"
The answer is that light is electromagnetic waves, and the speed at which these waves propagate is determined by and can be calculated from the laws of electricity and magnetism which James Maxwell discovered in 1861 (google for "Maxwell's equations").

(as an aside... except when you are studying the quantum mechanical properties of light, you should avoid thinking in terms of photons. They aren't what you think they are).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
photons travel at c everywhere...
light travels at c in the vacuum...
So the speed of light should refer at c??

Greatness said:
I know because they have zero rest-mass it is only possible for them to travel at c, but is there some mathematical reasoning to this through the mass and momentum equivalence equation?

The general relationship between (rest-)mass, energy and momentum is ##E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2##. Therefore if m = 0, E = pc.

From the relationships between momentum and velocity, or between energy and velocity, and the relationship above, it's possible to show that
$$\frac{pc}{E} = \frac{v}{c}$$
which gives 1, i.e. v = c, for a photon.

jtbell said:
The general relationship between (rest-)mass, energy and momentum is ##E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2##. Therefore if m = 0, E = pc.

From the relationships between momentum and velocity, or between energy and velocity, and the relationship above, it's possible to show that
$$\frac{pc}{E} = \frac{v}{c}$$
which gives 1, i.e. v = c, for a photon.
Which relationships are you referring to?
Also, why in E = mc^2 is m sometimes referred to as either relativistic mass ( in the context of light? ), while at other times (and what I understand) as rest mass?

Greatness said:
Which relationships are you referring to?
$$p = \gamma mv = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}\\
E=\gamma mc^2 = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}$$
Also, why in E = mc^2 is m sometimes referred to as either relativistic mass ( in the context of light? ), while at other times (and what I understand) as rest mass?
When m is the "rest mass", E is the "rest energy", i.e. the energy that the particle has even when it is at rest: ##E_0 = mc^2##. When m is the "relativistic mass", E is the total energy (rest energy plus kinetic energy): ##E = E_0 + K = m_{rel}c^2 = \gamma mc^2##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Greatness said:

The ##E## in ##E=mc^2## can be understood as either the total energy including the object's kinetic energy, in which case you would use the relativistic mass (and interpret ##(\gamma-1)m_0## as the kinetic energy); or as the energy in a frame in which the object is at rest so has no kinetic energy, in which case you would use ##m_0##, the rest mass. Obviously the latter does not apply to light (no frame in which the light is at rest).

Note that the more modern ##E^2=(m_0c^2)^2+(pc)^2## reduces to ##E=mc^2## for a massive particle at rest (##p=0##) and to ##E=pc## for a massless particle. Thus, it's generally considered the more fundamental relationship these days.

What is the concept of relativistic mass/energy?

Relativistic mass/energy is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between mass and energy in objects that are moving at speeds close to the speed of light. This concept is based on Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that mass and energy are two forms of the same underlying quantity.

How is relativistic mass/energy different from classical mass/energy?

In classical physics, mass and energy are considered to be separate and distinct quantities. However, in the theory of relativity, they are interrelated and can be converted into one another. This means that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass will increase and its energy will also increase.

What is the equation for calculating relativistic mass/energy?

The equation for calculating relativistic mass/energy is E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation shows that energy and mass are directly proportional, and as an object's speed increases, both its mass and energy will increase.

Can an object's relativistic mass/energy exceed its rest mass/energy?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, an object's relativistic mass/energy can exceed its rest mass/energy. As an object's speed increases, its relativistic mass/energy will also increase, and it can approach infinity as the object's speed approaches the speed of light.

What are some practical applications of relativistic mass/energy?

Relativistic mass/energy has several practical applications in modern technology. For example, it is used in particle accelerators to accelerate particles to high speeds, as well as in nuclear power plants to convert small amounts of mass into large amounts of energy. Additionally, the understanding of relativistic mass/energy is crucial in the study of cosmic phenomena, such as black holes and the Big Bang.