Calculating Relativistic Mass of Photon & Electron

In summary, a photon has no rest mass, and it travels at the speed of light. Knowing the wavelength of the photon will give us the momentum using the De Broglie relation. Now can we say that the momentum of the photon is = relativistic mass of the photon X the speed of light and from that know the relativistic mass, whatever that is?If you want to, but you will most likely be misunderstood.
jalalmalo
Let me see if I got this right. A photon has no rest mass, and it travels at the speed of light. Knowing the wavelength of the photon will give us the momentum using the De Broglie relation. Now can we say that the momentum of the photon is = relativistic mass of the photon X the speed of light and from that know the relativistic mass, whatever that is?

My other question, take an electron instead. If we know the wavenumber of the electron how do we calculate the speed of the electron.

thanx for your reply

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
jalalmalo said:
... can we say that the momentum of the photon is = relativistic mass of the photon X the speed of light and from that know the relativistic mass, whatever that is?
If you want to, but you will most likely be misunderstood. Relativistic mass usually refers to sqrt{ E^2 - p^2 }. Many people even use the term to refer simply to E, but I find that a little strange.

jalalmalo said:
My other question, take an electron instead. If we know the wavenumber of the electron how do we calculate the speed of the electron.
This question is a bit ambiguous. If you treat the electron as a plane wave, then you can determine the wave speed as v=omega/k. However, the result may surprise you, and this is probably not what you had in mind. If you treat the electron as a wavepacket (a localized bundle of electron-ness), so that it is more like the classical notion of a particle, then the speed of the packet is, to lowest order approximation, the group velocity. This depends on the nature of the wave packet.

But that means that we have to know E and p of the photon, and those are given by De Broglie and Einstein E = h-bar x omega, right? Is it this relativistic mass which is reponsible for the bending of light in gravitational field?
¨
I just started reading quantum mechanics on my own, preparing for next semester, so I hope u bare with me. My confusion is this. When we apply De Broglie to any other particle then the photon do we account for relativistic effects and how do we do that. For instance an electron accelerated to a speed which give relativitic effect, we only know the rest mass. If the electron is then diffracted and the wavelength is measured, can we deduce anything about the velocity of the electron. Thanx for your patience

1. What is the equation for calculating the relativistic mass of a photon?

The equation for calculating the relativistic mass of a photon is m = E/c^2, where m is the mass, E is the energy, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does the relativistic mass of a photon differ from its rest mass?

The relativistic mass of a photon is always equal to its rest mass, as photons have no rest mass. However, the relativistic mass takes into account the energy of the photon, which increases with its frequency and therefore increases its mass.

3. What is the equation for calculating the relativistic mass of an electron?

The equation for calculating the relativistic mass of an electron is m = m0 / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where m0 is the rest mass, v is the velocity of the electron, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does the relativistic mass of an electron change with increasing velocity?

The relativistic mass of an electron increases with increasing velocity, approaching infinity as the velocity approaches the speed of light. This is due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high velocities.

5. Why is it important to consider relativistic mass when studying particles at high speeds?

It is important to consider relativistic mass when studying particles at high speeds because it helps us understand the effects of special relativity on the behavior of particles. This allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.