1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Moment F = dp/dt

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Newton's second law is given by [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, show that [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=[tex]\gamma^{3}m\vec{a}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]p=\gamma m\vec{v}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=\vec{a}[/tex]
    [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figure all you need to do would be to find d/dt of p. After a couple tries, I'm still unable to get the result that it provides.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's what you do, and it's straightforward enough. No real tricks. Maybe you could show us an attempt?

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    [​IMG]

Here's a scan of what I did... at the very bottom I was then lost.

5. Sep 13, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You missed a factor of dv/dt in the first term when you did the chain rule. So factoring out all of the common terms (gamma*m*dv/dt), you only need to show that (v^2/c^2)/(1-v^2/c^2)+1=gamma^2. You are almost there.

6. Sep 13, 2007 #5
    Thanks for your help... I didn't realize that when I would take the derivative of -v^2/c^2 that it would be (-2v/c^2)(dv/dt). I think that's what you were getting at. I was able to get the answer that way :)

7. Sep 13, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I was getting at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?