1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Momentum of a photon

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    An elementary particle of mass M completely absorbs a photon, after which its mass is 1.01M. (a) What was the energy of the incoming photon? (b) Why is that energy greater than 0.01Mc2?

2. Relevant equations
    p (photon) = E/c
    p (particle) = γmv
    p(i) = p(f)
    Ek = γmc^2 -mc^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no idea where to start without having knowledge of the velocity of the particle after the collision

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Just use v as velocity. Momentum conservation will give you that velocity during the calculations.

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Was that the complete problem statement? I don't think the situation described is physically possible.

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It is possible, it is the reverse process of a gamma decay.

6. Sep 28, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

But that's with a nucleus, which has a substructure. I guess it seems a little odd to me to say that an elementary particle changes its mass by absorbing a photon unless it's referring to its relativistic mass.

7. Sep 29, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

It becomes a different elementary particle. There are no suitable elementary particles for that process (and it would probably need weak higher-order processes), but I don't think we have to worry about that.
    "Mass" has to be rest mass, otherwise the second question does not make sense.
    Elementary just guarantees we don't have to worry about rotations and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted