1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic momentum

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    I am having trouble with getting the right answer for this problem that is pretty simple and it is driving me insane.

You start out with a pion that decays into 2 photons that split at an angle theta in opposite directions from the original pion.

The velocity v of the pion is 2.977*10^8 m/s, with a mass m of 135 MeV.

If E is the pions energy and E1 and E2 are the photons energy then we have:
    With E1=E1/c, E2=E2/c

and so for momentum we have[tex] (P1-P2)Sin[\theta]=0[/tex] so we get [tex]P1=P2 so E1=E2[/tex]

So we can write [tex]2(P1+P2)Cos[\theta]=Ppion[/tex]

Now we can write [tex]2E/C*Cos[\theta]=\gamma*m*v[/tex]

Which reduces to [tex]Cos[\theta]=\gamma[/tex]*m*v*c/2E but this does not give me the correct angle :( The correct angle should be 6.79 degrees for each photon but as you can see from my equation since v=2.977 I get [tex]Cos[\theta]=1/2(about)[/tex], can anyone find my problem before I go insane? Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

E=m\gamma, not mv\gamma.
    Just write p/E=v/c=(2k\cos\theta)/(2k).
  4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    Thanks, the book does it similar to how you solve it, but I like to be able to solve things in a way that I will remember on a test just in case I can't find the easy way. Thanks, I figured it was something stupid like that.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  5. Feb 9, 2006 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The easy way is easier to remember. Physics is finding the easy way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?