Solving Relativistic Momentum Problem: Pion Decays into Photons

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a pion decaying into two photons at an angle theta. The pion has a velocity of 2.977*10^8 m/s and a mass of 135 MeV. The equation E=E1+E2=\gamma*m*v is used to calculate the energies of the photons, but the resulting equation for momentum (P1-P2)Sin[\theta]=0 does not give the correct angle of 6.79 degrees. The issue is found to be a mistake in using E=mv\gamma instead of E=m\gamma.
mewmew
I am having trouble with getting the right answer for this problem that is pretty simple and it is driving me insane.

You start out with a pion that decays into 2 photons that split at an angle theta in opposite directions from the original pion.

The velocity v of the pion is 2.977*10^8 m/s, with a mass m of 135 MeV.

If E is the pions energy and E1 and E2 are the photons energy then we have:
[tex]
E=E1+E2=\gamma*m*v
[/tex]
With E1=E1/c, E2=E2/c

and so for momentum we have[tex] (P1-P2)Sin[\theta]=0[/tex] so we get [tex]P1=P2 so E1=E2[/tex]

So we can write [tex]2(P1+P2)Cos[\theta]=Ppion[/tex]

Now we can write [tex]2E/C*Cos[\theta]=\gamma*m*v[/tex]

Which reduces to [tex]Cos[\theta]=\gamma[/tex]*m*v*c/2E but this does not give me the correct angle :( The correct angle should be 6.79 degrees for each photon but as you can see from my equation since v=2.977 I get [tex]Cos[\theta]=1/2(about)[/tex], can anyone find my problem before I go insane? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
E=m\gamma, not mv\gamma.
Just write p/E=v/c=(2k\cos\theta)/(2k).

Thanks, the book does it similar to how you solve it, but I like to be able to solve things in a way that I will remember on a test just in case I can't find the easy way. Thanks, I figured it was something stupid like that.

Last edited:
The easy way is easier to remember. Physics is finding the easy way.

What is the concept of relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a measure of the motion of an object that takes into account its mass, velocity, and the effects of special relativity. It differs from classical momentum in that it accounts for the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light.

How is relativistic momentum calculated?

Relativistic momentum can be calculated using the equation p = mv/√(1-v²/c²), where p is the relativistic momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation takes into account the effects of special relativity on an object's mass and velocity.

What is the process for solving a relativistic momentum problem?

To solve a relativistic momentum problem, you will need to identify the initial and final states of the system, and use the conservation of momentum and energy principles to calculate the momentum of the particles involved. You will then use the relativistic momentum formula to determine the final momentum of the particles.

How does the decay of a pion into photons relate to relativistic momentum?

The decay of a pion into photons is an example of a relativistic momentum problem, as it involves the conservation of momentum and energy in a relativistic system. The pion has a rest mass and a certain velocity, and the resulting photons also have momentum and energy, which must be accounted for in the calculation.

Why is it important to consider relativistic momentum in high-speed particle interactions?

Considering relativistic momentum is important in high-speed particle interactions because it accurately describes the behavior of particles at speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the increase in mass and the effects of special relativity, allowing for more accurate calculations and predictions in these interactions.