1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic momentum

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A photon of momentum P strikes a nucleus at rest and s absorbed. If The final (excited)
    nucleus is M calculate its velocity.

2. Relevant equations

p = mv/(gamma)

3. The attempt at a solution

P = Mv/gamma

P^2 - (Pv/c)^2 = (M^2)(v^2)

P^2 = (Mv)^2 + (Pv/c)^2

V = P / sqrt( (M^2) + ((P^2)/(C^2)) )

The answer in the back is

P(C^2) / sqrt((M^4)(C^2) + P(C^2))
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2
    Your first formula is wrong. Should be [itex]p = \gamma mv[/itex].

There are a couple of other equations to consider using also (though there is nothing wrong with your derivation):

[tex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/tex]

[tex]E = \gamma mc^2[/tex]

[tex]pc^2 = Ev[/tex]
  4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    I get the same answer as you, fys iks, starting out from [itex]p=Mv \gamma[/itex]. The units in the book's answer aren't consistent.
  5. Jun 24, 2010 #4
    In this problem, we don't know the energy, but we do know 3-momentum and mass, so it should be just a matter of solving [itex]p = \gamma mv[/itex] for v, shouldn't it?
  6. Jun 25, 2010 #5
    yes, energy isn't introduced until the next chapter. I found a similar question and tried out my equation and it worked so i just think the book made an error.

7. Jun 25, 2010 #6
    It's the exponent of 4 that makes me think of the first equation I posted. I'm guessing the author of the solution was probably thinking like this:

Divide numerator and denominator by c2 and you get your answer. A couple of typos in the denominator explains the mistake in the book (though that's no excuse). That's where my thinking was going when I provided the formulas. It's a bit quicker, but mathematically the same as your approach.
  8. Jun 25, 2010 #7
    Oh, I see, yeah, that's simpler than messing around with the gamma.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook