How do I calculate the new speed given a doubled momentum?

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the new speed of an object given its momentum and mass, and how to find the factor by which the velocity must be increased to yield a doubled momentum. The formula for relativistic momentum was mentioned, and a hint was given to solve the equation for finding the new speed.
Peter G.
Hi,

I was given a question in which I had to work out the speed of an object given its momentum and its mass.

Now I had to answer what would be the new speed if the momentum doubled.

So, from what I understand, the rest mass can't change, it is like a constant for a given body. So, in other words, in this case, it is the velocity that is going to change.

In order to find by what factor v must be increased in order to yield an increase in momentum of two I tried to rearrange the following equation:

v/√1-(v2/c2 = 2

Is this what I should do?

Can anyone please maybe give me a hint of what step I should take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I was given a question in which I had to work out the speed of an object given its momentum and its mass.

Now I had to answer what would be the new speed if the momentum doubled.

So, from what I understand, the rest mass can't change, it is like a constant for a given body. So, in other words, in this case, it is the velocity that is going to change.

In order to find by what factor v must be increased in order to yield an increase in momentum of two I tried to rearrange the following equation:

v/√1-(v2/c2 = 2

Is this what I should do?

Can anyone please maybe give me a hint of what step I should take?

The formula for the relativistic momentum is [itex]p = {\gamma}mv[/itex], where [itex]\gamma =\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } }[/itex], which gives [itex]p = \frac { mv }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } }[/itex]

You're given that [itex]p_{new} = 2p_{old}[/itex].

So what you need to do is to solve this equation:

[tex]\frac { mv }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } } = 2\frac { mu }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { u }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } }[/tex]

where v is the new speed and u is the old speed (which you've already calculated). Solve for v.

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on the momentum of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, adjusted by the Lorentz factor.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity, without considering the effects of special relativity. Relativistic momentum takes into account the increase in an object's mass as its velocity approaches the speed of light, resulting in a different equation for calculating momentum.

3. What is the formula for calculating relativistic momentum?

The formula for relativistic momentum is p = mv/√(1 - v^2/c^2), where p is the relativistic momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does relativistic momentum affect the behavior of objects at high speeds?

At high speeds, relativistic momentum approaches infinity as an object's velocity approaches the speed of light. This means that it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light, and that objects with mass cannot reach the speed of light.

5. What are some practical applications of relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is important in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, as well as in the design and operation of spacecraft and satellites that travel at high speeds. It is also relevant in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics.