1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Momentum

1. Aug 16, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I was given a question in which I had to work out the speed of an object given its momentum and its mass.

Now I had to answer what would be the new speed if the momentum doubled.

So, from what I understand, the rest mass can't change, it is like a constant for a given body. So, in other words, in this case, it is the velocity that is going to change.

In order to find by what factor v must be increased in order to yield an increase in momentum of two I tried to rearrange the following equation:

v/√1-(v2/c2 = 2

Is this what I should do?

Can anyone please maybe give me a hint of what step I should take?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The formula for the relativistic momentum is [itex]p = {\gamma}mv[/itex], where [itex]\gamma =\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } }[/itex], which gives [itex]p = \frac { mv }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } }[/itex]

You're given that [itex]p_{new} = 2p_{old}[/itex].

So what you need to do is to solve this equation:

[tex]\frac { mv }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { v }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } } = 2\frac { mu }{ \sqrt { 1-\frac { { u }^{ 2 } }{ { c }^{ 2 } } } }[/tex]

where v is the new speed and u is the old speed (which you've already calculated). Solve for v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook