1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Momentum

1. Mar 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much work is required to accelerate a proton from rest up to a speed of 0.999c?
    What would be the momentum of this proton?

2. Relevant equations
    p=γmv

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got part A, which was the momentum. I found that to be 20.1 GeV. Now for part B I have to find the momentum in units of GeV/c. I'm down to my last attempt on Mastering Physics. First, I tried going the simplest route and divided the 20.1 GeV from part A by c to get 6.7e-8 and that was wrong. I also tried using p=γmv to find an answer of 1.12e-5 J, which I converted to 7.01e-8 GeV, then divided that by c and got an incorrect figure of 2.34e-16.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you find a formula that relates the energy to the momentum of a particle?

4. Mar 10, 2017 #3
    Would that be E^2=p^2c^2 + m^2c^4? If that is the correct equation, I came up with an answer of 1.35e-6.

5. Mar 10, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could use that one. But, what about using ##E = \gamma mc^2## and ##p = \gamma mv##?

6. Mar 10, 2017 #5
    Honestly, I'm not quite sure what I would do with those equations. I saw that a guy on Yahoo Answers did K/c=mvγ and that led me to an answer of 7.01e-8. I'm not confident that that is right though. Any idea if my answer of 1.35e-6 from my previous post is right?

7. Mar 10, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think your problem is probably understanding ##eV## units. The mass of a particle is normally given in ##MeV/c^2##. For example, the proton mass is about ##938 MeV/c^2##.

The energy of a particle is, therefore, ##E = \gamma m## where ##E## is in ##MeV## and ##m## is the mass in ##MeV/c^2##.

Momentum is given in units of ##MeV/c## and we have ##p = \gamma mv/c## in these units.

In this case ##v/c = 0.999 \approx 1## so we have ##p \approx \gamma m = E##.

These units take a bit of time and practice to get used to, but you can see how using them can simplify the calculations.

8. Mar 10, 2017 #7
    Yes, thank you it makes sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted