Relativistic particle decay

In summary, the muons in the experiment must have a speed of 299,987,443.2 m/s in order to reach the target without decaying.
Elvis 123456789

Homework Statement

Unstable particles cannot live very long. Their mean life time t is defined by N(t) = N0e−t/τ , i.e., after a time of t, the number of particles left is N0/e. (For muons, τ=2.2µs.) Due to time dilation and length contraction, unstable particles can still travel far if their speeds are high enough

Problem 4
a) For musons at rest, traveling at 0.6c, 0.8c, 0.9999c, plot the N(t)/N0 ratio as a function of time.

b) For muons traveling at 0.8c, derive N(L)/N0 as a function of L, where L is the distance travelled, measured in the Earth RF. You don’t need to plot these functions.

c) Assume you are designing an experiment using muons beams that are directed at a target in a neighboring city 50km away. You want to have at least half of the muons reach the target without decaying. What is the minimum speed of the muons you must have?

Homework Equations

N(t) = N0e−t/τ

t_e = t_m *γ

L_m = L_e/γ

t_e & L_e is the time and length measured in the Earth frame of reference

and t_m and L_m is the time and length measured in the muon's frame of reference

I did all the parts but I feel pretty unsure about it. I was hoping you guys could take a look and let me know if it seems ok. Thanks in advance!

The Attempt at a Solution

Parts a.) and b.) are in the attached image

c.) N(L_e) = N_0 * e^(-L_e/v*τ_e)

after some algebra I end up with the expression

v = [ (τ_m*ln(2)/L_e)^2 + 1/c^2]^-1/2

τ_m = 2.2 * 10^-6 s
L_e = 50*10^3 m

after plugging in these values I get

v = 299,987,443.2 m/s

Attachments

• particle decay.jpg
    particle decay.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me. You could express the answer for part (c) in terms of the speed of light c.

1. What is relativistic particle decay?

Relativistic particle decay is a process in which a high-energy particle decays into other particles due to its high speed and energy. This is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity.

2. How does relativistic particle decay occur?

Relativistic particle decay occurs when a high-energy particle collides with another particle or interacts with a strong electric or magnetic field. This interaction causes the high-energy particle to lose energy and decay into other particles.

3. What is the significance of relativistic particle decay?

Relativistic particle decay is significant because it allows us to study the properties and behavior of high-energy particles, such as those found in particle accelerators. It also helps us understand the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe.

4. Can relativistic particle decay be observed in everyday life?

No, relativistic particle decay can only be observed in high-energy environments, such as particle accelerators or in space where cosmic rays are present. In everyday life, the energy of particles is not high enough for relativistic particle decay to occur.

5. What are the potential applications of relativistic particle decay?

Relativistic particle decay has various potential applications in fields such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and astrophysics. It can also be used to study the properties of matter and to develop new technologies, such as radiation therapy for cancer treatment.