1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic particles

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two particles in an accelerator approaching eachother with a relative speed of 0.880c. The particles travel at the same speed as measured in the laboratory. I have to find the velocity of each particle.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I use the transformation of velocities:

u'_x = (2*0.880c)/(1-(-(0.880c)^2/c^2)

- since v_1 = -v_2. I get 0,99c, but apparently it must equal 0,597c?!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're using that equation backwards. That equation gives you the relative speed, which you already have, in terms of the lab frame speeds.

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    Can you tell me, what u'_x, v and u_x are? They seem to differ (the meaning of them) every time I encounter a new problem.

v is the speed of object u' relative to u, and u_x is speed of u to stationary observer and u'_x is speed of u' to stat. obs.?

This doesn't add up with our problem? (Btw, I got the real answer, but I still lack the definitions).

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Here's one way of looking at it. In the lab frame, the velocity of the A particle is +u and the B particle is -u. From the frame of the B particle, the lab frame is moving at speed +u. (Call the lab frame S', since it's moving.) So, in the lab frame the speed of the A particle is u' = u.

Transforming to the stationary frame of the B particle, the speed of the A particle with respect to the B particle will be given by:

v = (u' + u)/(1 + u'u/c^2) = 2u/(1 + u^2/c^2)

Make sense?

One way I like to write this is:

Relativistic addition of parallel velocities:
    [tex]V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}[/tex]

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    Ahh, I see.

Can you tell me more generally, what they stand for? So I can use them on other examples.

But I liked your explanation! (bookmarked)

7. Oct 21, 2007 #6

Doc Al

What what stands for? Which variables do you mean?

8. Oct 21, 2007 #7
    What u_x, u´_x and v stand for in the equations when transforming velocities.

u_x is the speed of the object as seen from a stationary observer?
    v is the speed of S' relative to S?
    u´_x is the speed of the object in S' as seen from a stationary observer?

9. Oct 21, 2007 #8

Doc Al

How about this:
    u_x is the speed of object as measured in frame S (stationary)
    u'_x is the speed of object as measured in fame S' (moving)
    v is the speed of S' as measured in frame S

In that case:
    u'_x = (u_x - v)/(1 - v u_x/c^2)

Let me know if that makes sense to you.

Applying this version to your problem:
    Speed of A in S = + .88 c
    Speed of B in S = - .88 c

If you choose a frame S' moving along with A (say), then v = +.88 c. Then you use the above formula to transform the speed of B in frame S (u_x = -.88 c) to find its speed u'_x with respect to A (which is S').

10. Oct 21, 2007 #9
    I found an example in my book that I tried to solve, which I hope will clarify things for my, but I'm kinda stuck.

"A planet P between two rockets A and B wants to measure the velocities of A and B. P is watching A and B getting closer to eachother, and the distance between them is getting smaller with the velocity (5/7)c. From A it looks like B is approaching A with the velocity (35/37)c."

Ok, first of all, we notice that A and B are getting approaching eachother with the velocity (5/7)c, so:

(5/7)c = (u_a + u_b) / (1+u_a*u_b/c^2).

Also, from A it looks that B's speed is (35/37)c, so:

(35/37)c = (u_a + u_b) / (1+u_a*u_b/c^2).

Am I way off here?

11. Oct 21, 2007 #10

Doc Al

This is a tricky one! First note that the highlighted statement is not equivalent to:
    Which is good because this equation:
    Directly contradicts the other one.

Instead, it means that as seen by P, the distance between A and B is decreasing at a rate of (5/7)c. That's equivalent to saying that: (5/7)c = u_a + u_b

Good.

Now combine the two equations to solve for the speeds.

12. Oct 22, 2007 #11
    Ahh, I see.. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Thank you for all your help so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?