Understanding Relativistic Ptcl Lagrangian: S1 vs. S2

In summary, S1 and S2 are related differently to the stress-energy tensor. S1 is equivalent to -\frac{1}{2}T^\mu_\mu but S2 is not.
michael879
Can someone help me understand how the following two actions are related?
[itex]S_1 = \int \left(-\dfrac{1}{2}mg_{\mu\nu}\dot{x}^\mu\dot{x}^\nu - U\right) d\tau[/itex]
[itex]S_2 = \int \left(-m\sqrt{g_{\mu\nu}\dot{x}^\mu\dot{x}^\nu} - U\right) d\tau[/itex]
Both of them lead to the correct geodesic equation as the Euler-Lagrange equations, as long as τ is affine (S2 requires some additional assumptions to get rid of an additional factor that pops up), but I can't for the life of me explain the factor of 2 difference. I've seen both of them used in various places, but I can't seem to find any explanation of the difference between them. I also can't see any transformation (for a particle with fixed mass m under a potential U) that would show they're equivalent...

S2 has a straightforward 'derivation' from the action [itex]S=-m\int{ds}[/itex] for proper time s, but it seems to breakdown for massless particles. S1 on the other hand can be made to easily work for null curves, by treating m as the particles energy rather than its rest mass, but doesn't have any derivation I'm aware of.

*note* for more context, the problem I'm seeing is that these two actions are related very differently to the stress-energy tensor. I find that after solving for the stress energy tensor, [itex]S_1=-\frac{1}{2}T^\mu_\mu[/itex] but [itex]S_2 = -T[/itex]. That means that for S1, the Einstein-Hilbert action exactly cancels out the particle's, which is behavior I would expect (since [itex]2L_{EH}=R^\mu_\mu=T^\mu_\mu[/itex]). For S2 though, the two do not cancel out...

Physics news on Phys.org
They have the same extrema. So from the EOM they are equivalent. You can compare this to e.g. a function f(x) and ln[f(x)], which also have the same extrema.

So you're saying there's no difference? You can just square any piece of the Lagrangian and it won't change anything?? I understand that you could square the entire Lagrangian, but there are other parts here (e.g. the Einstein-Hilbert Lagrangian, the potential term, and terms for whatever else may be going on in the universe). And if they're truly equivalent, why would anyone ever use S2?? Surely S1 is much simpler to work with...

1. What is the difference between S1 and S2 in the Relativistic Ptcl Lagrangian?

S1 and S2 refer to two different ways of writing the Lagrangian equation in the context of Special Relativity. S1 is the traditional form, while S2 is a more compact form. Both equations are mathematically equivalent and can be used interchangeably.

2. How do S1 and S2 relate to Newton's laws of motion?

S1 and S2 are both based on the principles of Newton's laws of motion. They both describe the dynamics of a system of particles and can be used to predict the motion of these particles.

3. Can S1 and S2 be applied to any system of particles?

Yes, S1 and S2 can be applied to any system of particles, as long as the system is in a state of constant motion. However, they are most commonly used in the context of Special Relativity and high-speed particle physics.

4. How do S1 and S2 account for the effects of relativity?

S1 and S2 both take into account the effects of relativity by incorporating the speed of light and the concept of time dilation into their equations. This allows for the accurate prediction of particle motion at high speeds.

5. Are there any limitations to using S1 and S2?

S1 and S2 are not limited in terms of the types of systems they can be applied to. However, they may become more complex and difficult to solve for systems with a large number of particles or in situations where the particles are not in a state of constant motion.