What Happens When the Hamiltonian in Dirac's Equation Isn't Linear in Momentum?

The Hamiltonian for the Klein-Gordon equation, however, is still linear in momentum.In summary, when constructing a relativistic quantum mechanical equation, such as the Dirac equation, the Hamiltonian must be linear in momentum due to the linearity of the Schrodinger equation in the time derivative. However, in relativity, time and space are interchangeable, leading to the need for a second time derivative in the equation. This results in the Hamiltonian for the Klein-Gordon equation, which is still linear in momentum.
Tio Barnabe
When constructing a relativistic quantum mechanical equation, namely Dirac equation, what would happen if we choose the Hamiltonian so that it's not linear in the momentum operator and the rest energy?

You could say, why don't try it yourself and see what happens? That's because my knowledge is not enough to do that, but as I love QM I want to know what the result would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
By linear I assume you mean it's raised to the first power. The Hamiltonian has to be linear in momentum. This is because the Schrodinger equation is linear in the time derivative ##H\psi = i\hbar\partial_t \psi##. Now for relativity time an space are interchangeable, so the time and space derivatives should have the same order. Thus if we want only the first time derivative, we must have an equation linear in momentum.

Tio Barnabe said:
When constructing a relativistic quantum mechanical equation, namely Dirac equation, what would happen if we choose the Hamiltonian so that it's not linear in the momentum operator and the rest energy? [...]

You end up with the Hamiltonian for the Klein-Gordon field.

Likes NFuller
thank you guys

MisterX said:
The Hamiltonian has to be linear in momentum. This is because the Schrodinger equation is linear in the time derivative ##H\psi = i\hbar\partial_t \psi##. Now for relativity time an space are interchangeable, so the time and space derivatives should have the same order. Thus if we want only the first time derivative, we must have an equation linear in momentum.

You have this backwards. What relativity forces on us is not a Hamiltonian linear in momentum; it's having to accept a second time derivative instead of a first time derivative. The Schrodinger equation is non-relativistic; when you try to make a relativistic analogue, you end up, as @dextercioby has pointed out, with the Klein-Gordon equation, which involves only second derivatives.

1. What is the Relativistic QM equation?

The Relativistic Quantum Mechanics (QM) equation, also known as the Dirac equation, is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the behavior of particles with spin. It combines elements of both quantum mechanics and special relativity to accurately describe the behavior of particles traveling at high speeds.

2. How does the Relativistic QM equation differ from the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of non-relativistic particles, does not take into account the effects of special relativity. The Relativistic QM equation, on the other hand, does account for these effects and is able to accurately describe the behavior of particles traveling at high speeds.

3. What is the significance of the Relativistic QM equation?

The Relativistic QM equation is significant because it allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of particles at high speeds. It has been used in various fields of physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It also played a crucial role in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. Can the Relativistic QM equation be solved analytically?

No, the Relativistic QM equation cannot be solved analytically for systems with more than one particle. However, numerical methods and approximations can be used to obtain solutions for more complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Relativistic QM equation?

While the Relativistic QM equation is a powerful tool in describing the behavior of particles, it is not applicable to all situations. It breaks down at extremely high energies and in the presence of strong gravitational fields. In these cases, a more complete theory, such as quantum field theory or general relativity, is needed.