1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

1. Jan 27, 2004 #1

arivero

Gold Member

This weekend I have been reading the textbook of Paul Strange, "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics". There, in chapter 7, in takes the most extensive description of Zitterbewegung I am aware of, at least in a textbook. Most of the discussion uses the Foldy-Wouthuysen representation, while it refers to Costella and McKellar 1995 for general conclusions on it. I have not read this yet, but preprints are available online as usual (hep-ph/9503416,
    also hep-ph/9704210 and hep-ph/0102244)

For newcomers, let me to remark that the Z. effect can be used to justify the eigenvalues of the velocity operator in relativistic QM, and also it gives a partial justification of spin.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2004 #2
  4. Feb 6, 2004 #3

arivero

Gold Member

Lets say that it is "orthodox". IE instead of alternative approaches to spinors, it uses the F-W transformation, which is standard in relativistic quantum mechanics, to separate the components of the spinor and then to locate the Zitterbewegung effect.

5. Feb 10, 2004 #4

arivero

Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?