Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

1. Jan 27, 2004 #1

arivero

Gold Member

This weekend I have been reading the textbook of Paul Strange, "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics". There, in chapter 7, in takes the most extensive description of Zitterbewegung I am aware of, at least in a textbook. Most of the discussion uses the Foldy-Wouthuysen representation, while it refers to Costella and McKellar 1995 for general conclusions on it. I have not read this yet, but preprints are available online as usual (hep-ph/9503416,
    also hep-ph/9704210 and hep-ph/0102244)

For newcomers, let me to remark that the Z. effect can be used to justify the eigenvalues of the velocity operator in relativistic QM, and also it gives a partial justification of spin.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2004 #2
  4. Feb 6, 2004 #3

arivero

Gold Member

Lets say that it is "orthodox". IE instead of alternative approaches to spinors, it uses the F-W transformation, which is standard in relativistic quantum mechanics, to separate the components of the spinor and then to locate the Zitterbewegung effect.

5. Feb 10, 2004 #4

arivero

Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?