Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

In summary, on page 26 of "relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory" by Franz Gross, there is a problem with the momentum. The momentum conjugate is found using Euler-Lagrange for functions with more than one variable, and using periodic boundary conditions. However, I don't know how to apply the periodic conditions. The rest of the question is related to this part and I can't do it without getting this part right.
sayebms
the problem is on page 26 of "relativistic quantum mechanics and field theory" by Franz Gross.

consider the lagrangian density:

L=(1/2)[(∂ψ/∂t)^2 -(∂ψ/∂z)^2 -m^2ψ^2]

a) find the momentum conjugate.
b) find the equation of motion for the fields and the solution. use periodic boundary conditions.

Attempt at solution:

taking partial derivative with respect to (∂ψ/∂t) and (∂ψ/∂z)

(a) the momentum conjugate is: π(z,t)= (∂ψ/∂t)-(∂ψ/∂z)

(b) Using Euler-Lagrange for function with more than one variable we get:

-m^2ψ=(d^2ψ/dt^2)- (d^2ψ/dz^2) using separation of variable

ψ=Z(z)T(t)

The part which is only a function of "t" equate it to square of constant "ω" then we get:

T= Ae^(iωt) + Be^(-iωt)

and equation becomes:

-m^2=ω^2 - (1/Z)(d^2Z/dz^2) → (m^2 + ω^2)Z= (d^2Z/dz^2)

call m^2 + ω^2 = κ^2 the

Z=Ce^(ikz) + De^(-ikz)

at this step I don't know how to apply the periodic boundary conditions. the periodic conditions are given as following given in the page 4 :

ψ0=ψN
dψ0/dt=dψN/dt

where 0 and N indicate 0th and Nth oscillators.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me out with this.

the rest of the question is related to this part and i can't do it without getting this part right.

Physics news on Phys.org
This would be much easier to read if you used LaTeX. Here's the FAQ post about it: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3.

What definition of "momentum" are you using? I'm getting a different result. Shouldn't it be a vector by the way? Or are you just looking for the spatial component?

I think you have a sign error in the Euler-Lagrange equation.

I don't understand your comment before you separate the variables. What you're supposed to do is to insert ##\psi(t,z)=T(t)Z(z)## into the equation, and divide everything by T(t)Z(z). Then you can make arguments like "this term is independent of the t, so if I solve for it, what ends up on the other side of the equality sign must be independent of t too." (Same thing with z). This is what allows you to introduce that constant.

The boundary conditions that you write look - use latex - like Dirichlet's and Neumann's

Periodic boundary conditions in time mean

[itex]\phi(x,t)=\phi(x,t+T)[/itex]

and this implies a quantization of the energy

[itex]\phi(x,t)=\exp[-i E_n T / \hbar][/itex]

with

[itex]E_n = n h / T[/itex]

@Fredrik

what I mean is that we have two partial derivatives (with respect to t,z) present in the Lagrangian so we have to apply the following formula:

[tex]
\frac{\partial L}{\partial ψ} = \sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{\partial (\frac{\partial L}{\partial ψ_xi})}{\partial x_i} [/tex]

where [tex] x_i [/tex] represent different vairables (ex: t,z)

Your notation is a bit odd. I would write it as $$\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\psi} =\sum_{\mu=0}^1\partial_\mu\left( \frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\psi)}\right),$$ where
$$\partial_\mu=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}
=\begin{cases}
\frac{\partial}{\partial t} & \text{if }\mu=0\\
\frac{\partial}{\partial z} & \text{if }\mu=1.
\end{cases}$$ But it looks like the sign error was on my end.

Your statement about the momentum still doesn't make sense. Maybe you have the right answer, but you're not writing it in a way that makes sense.

@Fredrik

well I am sorry I'm not really that good with -Latex- since i have just started using it.
for the momentum I am just applying the following formula:
[tex]π_μ = \frac{∂L}{∂(∂_μψ)} [/tex]
and applying this to lagrangian
[tex]L=(1/2)[(∂ψ/∂t)^2 -(∂ψ/∂z)^2 -m^2ψ^2][/tex]
we get the follwing :
[tex]π_0 = \frac{∂ψ}{∂t} [/tex]
[tex]π_1 =- \frac{∂ψ}{∂z} [/tex]
I think it is right now, isn't it?

Last edited:
@naturale

and by the way naturale can you please show me the steps how you get that?

we put the solution into

[tex] ψ=Z(z)T(t) [/tex]

get the follwoing:
[tex]ψ(z,t)=(Ae^{iωt} + Be^{-iωt})(Ce^{ikz} + De^{-ikz})[/tex]
how do we apply the periodic conditions to this??

1. What is Relativistic Quantum Mechanics?

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics is a theory that combines the principles of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at a small scale, with the principles of special relativity, which describes the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

2. How does Relativistic Quantum Mechanics differ from Classical Mechanics?

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics takes into account the effects of high speeds and small scales, while Classical Mechanics only considers the behavior of large objects moving at low speeds. Additionally, Relativistic Quantum Mechanics allows for the possibility of particles existing in multiple states simultaneously, while Classical Mechanics assumes that particles have a definite position and momentum at all times.

3. What are the key principles of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics?

The key principles of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics include the wave-particle duality of matter, the uncertainty principle, and the concept of superposition. It also incorporates the principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

4. What are some applications of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics?

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics has been used to explain and predict the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons. It is also essential in understanding phenomena such as nuclear energy, quantum computing, and the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators.

5. How does Relativistic Quantum Mechanics impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativistic Quantum Mechanics has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe and its fundamental building blocks. It has helped us explain the behavior of particles at both small and large scales, and has provided a framework for understanding the concept of space and time. Additionally, it has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of transistors and lasers.