1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic relative velocity

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a given inertial frame two particles are shot out simultaneously from a given point with equal speeds u at an angle of 60 degrees with respect to each other. Using the concept of 4-velocity or otherwise, show that the relative speed of the particles is given by

##u_R = u(1-3u^2/4c^2)/(1-u^2/2c^2)##

I have tried this a number of ways but always end up getting

##u_R = u(1-3u^2/4c^2)##

So I guess my question is which answer is correct?

2. Relevant equations

##u'_x = (ux-v)/(1-v*ux/c^2)## and ##u'_y = uy/\gamma(1-v*ux/c^2)##

3. The attempt at a solution

I set S' as the stationary state of particle A, moving at a velocity u in the x direction. This meant that particle A was at rest in this frame. Therefore the velocity of B in the S' frame is the relative velocity of the two particles.

For particle B I obtained:

##u'_x = -u/2## and ##u'_y = usin60/\gamma##

Then using those values calculated the relative velocity to be

##u_R = u(1-3u^2/4c^2)##

I apologise for the layout of the equations because it is my first time posting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got off on the wrong foot. You need to work out the velocity of particle B in the initial frame, where the angle is valid.

Also, should the answer you're given have ##2c^2# in the denominator?

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, and welcome to PF!

I believe there is a misprint in this expression. Should the expression in parentheses in the numerator be raised to the 1/2 power?

I do not get these results using your relevant equations. In particular, what happened to the denominators of ##u'_x## and ##u'_y##?

5. Jan 9, 2015 #4
    For particle B I set the velocity in the x-direction to be ##ucos60## and in the y-direction to be ##usin60##. I then just substituted those values into the equations for u'_x and u'_y. I obtained those values for u'_x and u'_y because both u_x and u_y are zero since the we are considering the rest frame of particle A.

6. Jan 9, 2015 #5
    Is the angle still not valid if we consider the frame where particle A is stationary? Surely the relative velocity of particle B in that frame it the overall relative velocity?

7. Jan 9, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You need to use the velocity transformation formula, which is more than just ##\gamma## factor.

8. Jan 9, 2015 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ux and uy are the x and y components of the velocity of B in the original unprimed frame.

9. Jan 9, 2015 #8
    Thanks for all your help. I managed to solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted