Relativistic Rocket: Find Δv in Earth Frame

In summary, the velocity-addition formula can be used to determine the increase in speed over a short time interval in the Earth's frame of reference for a rocket accelerating at a constant acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2. This formula must be modified to solve for the change in velocity over a small interval of time in a different reference frame.
Hebrew21

Homework Statement

I a little lost on how to use the relativistic velocity addition formula to determine the increase in speed "v" over a short time interval in the Earths frame of reference, for a rocket having left Earth at rest and traveling through space accelerating at constant acc. of 9.81 m/s^2. In the rockets instantaneous frame of reference, the increase in speed is (9.81m/s^2)*Δt where Δt is the proper time interval. The equation must be modified to determine a speed increase Δv over a short interval of time from the Earth frame of reference. I guess the question I have is if I can use this formula to solve for the change in velocity over a small interval of time, for a different reference frame?

Homework Equations

v=u+v'/ sqrt(1+v'u/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I have so far, not sure if its close:

Δv=9.81*Δt/sqrt(1+9.81*Δt/c^2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You should review the velocity-addition formula. Identify what v, u, and v' stand for as it relates to this particular problem, and then try again.

1. What is a relativistic rocket?

A relativistic rocket is a theoretical spacecraft that travels at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It is different from traditional spacecrafts as it takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is the Δv calculated in the Earth frame?

The Δv, or change in velocity, in the Earth frame is calculated by taking into account the initial and final velocities of the rocket, as well as the acceleration it experiences during its journey. Special relativity equations, such as the velocity addition formula, are used to account for the effects of relativity on the rocket's velocity.

3. What is the significance of finding Δv in the Earth frame?

Finding Δv in the Earth frame allows us to understand the effects of relativity on the rocket's velocity and trajectory. It also helps us determine the amount of energy and fuel required for the rocket to reach its desired velocity.

4. What are some challenges in calculating Δv in the Earth frame?

One of the main challenges in calculating Δv in the Earth frame is accurately accounting for the effects of relativity. This requires a strong understanding of special relativity and the ability to apply complex equations. Additionally, there may be other variables, such as gravitational forces, that also need to be taken into consideration.

5. How is the calculated Δv used in space exploration?

The calculated Δv is used to plan and execute space missions, as it helps determine the most efficient route and amount of fuel needed for a spacecraft to reach its destination. It also helps scientists and engineers design spacecrafts that can travel at higher speeds and explore distant parts of the universe.