1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Rocket: Finding the change in velocities in different reference frames

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I a little lost on how to use the relativistic velocity addition formula to determine the increase in speed "v" over a short time interval in the Earths frame of reference, for a rocket having left earth at rest and traveling through space accelerating at constant acc. of 9.81 m/s^2. In the rockets instantaneous frame of reference, the increase in speed is (9.81m/s^2)*Δt where Δt is the proper time interval. The equation must be modified to determine a speed increase Δv over a short interval of time from the Earth frame of reference. I guess the question I have is if I can use this formula to solve for the change in velocity over a small interval of time, for a different reference frame?

2. Relevant equations

v=u+v'/ sqrt(1+v'u/c^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's what I have so far, not sure if its close:

Δv=9.81*Δt/sqrt(1+9.81*Δt/c^2)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Relativistic Rocket: Finding the change in velocities in different reference fram

You should review the velocity-addition formula. Identify what v, u, and v' stand for as it relates to this particular problem, and then try again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook