Relativistic-Strength EM Field

• Thread starter andrewm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em Field
In summary, an electron in a linearly polarized EM beam driven transversely at \omega will oscillate longitudinally at 2*\omega due to the B field. Using the phasor form for the fields, the Lorentz expression can be used to show that the frequency of the oscillation becomes 2*\omega when the velocity and B field are multiplied as phasors. The hint given about v being pi/2 out of phase with B suggests that the B field is also oscillating at 2*\omega, but it may not fully explain the qualitative behavior of the electron. Further explanation is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.
andrewm

Homework Statement

Demonstrate (qualitatively) that an electron in a linearly polarized EM beam that is driven transversely at \omega will also oscillate longitudinally at 2*\omega (due to the B field, apparently).

Homework Equations

I want to use a phasor form for the fields: [tex]\vec{E} = \vec{E_0} e^{i \omega t} [\tex], etc for B and velocity.

[tex] F = q E + q v \cross B [\tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A hint given is that v is pi/2 out of phase with B, and to focus on the magnetic term in the Lorentz expression.

My guess was that, when v and B are multiplied as phasors, the frequency becomes 2 \omega. However, this doesn't use the fact that v is pi/2 out of phase! So what's the hint for?

Physics news on Phys.org
My other guess was that the B field is also oscillating at 2 \omega, due to the E field oscillating. But then I don't understand how this applies the fact that v is pi/2 out of phase with B. The hint doesn't seem to help me much in understanding what's going on here. Can someone explain what's going on here qualitatively?

What is a relativistic-strength EM field?

A relativistic-strength EM field is a type of electromagnetic field that is characterized by high energy and strong electric and magnetic fields. It is typically produced by objects moving at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light.

How is a relativistic-strength EM field different from a regular EM field?

A relativistic-strength EM field differs from a regular EM field in its strength and energy. It is significantly more powerful and can have a greater impact on the surrounding environment and particles. It also follows different mathematical equations due to the high speeds involved.

What are the applications of a relativistic-strength EM field?

Relativistic-strength EM fields have many applications in modern science and technology. They are used in particle accelerators to study subatomic particles, in nuclear fusion research, and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines.

Can a relativistic-strength EM field be harmful?

Yes, a relativistic-strength EM field can be harmful if not properly contained or shielded. The high energy and strong fields can damage electronic equipment and cause harm to living organisms. In extreme cases, exposure to a relativistic-strength EM field can cause radiation sickness.

How is a relativistic-strength EM field created?

A relativistic-strength EM field is created by objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. This can occur naturally, such as in the case of cosmic rays, or can be artificially produced through particle accelerators and other high-energy experiments.