Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Relativistic Tank

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello physics friends! Here's a problem that's troubling me. This is a tank or truck with relativisti velocity V where the 2N pads are moving around the external edges of the tank. The question is, how many panels will be in contact with the ground at a given instant? And, if one of the panels leaves an imprint on the ground, what's the distance from imprint to imprint?

2. Relevant equations

t=proper time* gamma
    Lorentz transformation
    Addition of velocities??

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, the driver who is sitting in the front sees that the upper panels are movin towards him at velocity v and the lower panels are moving away at v. However from the ground what is it that I observe? I see the lower panels still and the upper panels at 2V, right?

I know that if the driver has a clock it has to run slower and the distance I see from the outside is shorter than the proper lenght. But I'm confused and I don't know how to continue.

Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted