1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Tank

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello physics friends! Here's a problem that's troubling me. This is a tank or truck with relativisti velocity V where the 2N pads are moving around the external edges of the tank. The question is, how many panels will be in contact with the ground at a given instant? And, if one of the panels leaves an imprint on the ground, what's the distance from imprint to imprint?

2. Relevant equations

t=proper time* gamma
    Lorentz transformation
    Addition of velocities??

3. The attempt at a solution

Now, the driver who is sitting in the front sees that the upper panels are movin towards him at velocity v and the lower panels are moving away at v. However from the ground what is it that I observe? I see the lower panels still and the upper panels at 2V, right?

I know that if the driver has a clock it has to run slower and the distance I see from the outside is shorter than the proper lenght. But I'm confused and I don't know how to continue.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?