Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Temperature

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    Page 52 of motionmountain (Learning Materials) has the following which I believe bears on a thread here in Physics Forums in the last week..can't find it now and I don't recall all the posts.... I'm wondering if the following clarifies or rather is inconsistent with that thread discussion ....I'd appreciate anyone who can identify that thread (posted here in relativity) and also any comments regarding the following quote. (Someone posted in that earlier thread that the KE was measured relative to the center of mass......I posted a reference to DrGreg..regarding his insight in another thread regarding length contraction/compression heat/work... )

(my boldface)
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2
    Hm, interesting question
    So 2 objects are flying close to each other at v
    They exchange the heat radiation
    The temperature equlibrium can be defined based on the Orthogonal doppler effect
    Based on the formula here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_Doppler_effect
    formula for T is correct
  4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    Hmmm... I am confused...
    So there are 2 infinite plates heated at T1 and T2 exchange the black body radiation moving at v (to each other) . At what T1 and T2 they are in equilibrium?

So for each plate other plate is COLDER...
  5. Feb 3, 2009 #4
    Dimitry....Note: I just updated the Lorentz factor exponent in my original post from an incorrect "1/2" to the correct "-1/2".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?