What is the Equation Relating Tardyon Components in Different Reference Frames?

In summary: Then it would be correct, right? Or am I misunderstanding something?In summary, the equation is invariant between two frames, but I don't know of a specific name for it.
bernhard.rothenstein
I find in the literature the following equation in which the OX(O'X') components of the same tardyon are present (u(x) and u'(x)) in I and in I' respectively.
1=[1-V^2/c^2)]/[(1-V/u(x))(1+V/u'(x)]
How would you call it, relativistic identity, reference frame independent...?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I think "tardyon" is a useless concept. I would just call it a "particle", or an "object". I might clarify by saying that it's a "massive particle", or a "particle moving at velocity u<c", but I think that isn't usually necessary.

As for the rest, I don't understand what you're asking. What does that equation say? What's u(x) and u'(x)? Velocities as functions of position?? Does the prime mean that it's a different frame? Then what are they doing in the same equation? Should there be a prime on the x too?

Fredrik said:
First of all, I think "tardyon" is a useless concept. I would just call it a "particle", or an "object". I might clarify by saying that it's a "massive particle", or a "particle moving at velocity u<c", but I think that isn't usually necessary.

As for the rest, I don't understand what you're asking. What does that equation say? What's u(x) and u'(x)? Velocities as functions of position?? Does the prime mean that it's a different frame? Then what are they doing in the same equation? Should there be a prime on the x too?
English is not my first language. Learning from Wikipedia I found out that

"A tardyon or bradyon is a particle that travels slower than light. Therefore this is a synonym with a massive particle (i.e. a particle having a non-zero mass). This includes all known particles (except luxons). The term "tardyon" is constructed to contrast with "tachyon", which refers to hypothetical particles that travel faster than light." but that is of second importance.
u(x) and u'(x) represent the OX(O'X') components of the speed of the same particlle moving at velocity u<c , V representing the rellative speed of the involved reference frames.
In order to make my question more transparent please tell me what is the name of
x^2-c^2t^2=x'^2-c^2t'*2 ?
Is it a relativistic identity, does it relate two covariant algebraic combinations of physical quantities measured in I and I' respectively...?
Thanks.

I think it is perfectly fine to use the word "tardyon". It certainly is faster to type than "particle moving at velocity u<c" or even "massive particle".

That said, I don't know of a specific name for the equation either. It is just an expression of the invariance of the spacetime interval.

Last edited:
Maybe the term you're looking for is just "Lorentz invariant". The left-hand side is Lorentz invariant, because it "looks the same" expressed in the coordinates of another inertial frame, as we can see by looking at the right-hand side. The right hand-side is of course also Lorentz invariant for the same reason.

So both sides of the equation are Lorentz invariant. I don't know a word that describes what the equation is though. I don't think there is one. An equation like

[tex]E^2=\vec{p}+m^2[/tex]

(where c=1) is Lorentz invariant because it looks the same in all inertial frames. (m is coordinate independent and [itex]\vec{p}^2[/itex] changes in a way that exactly compensates for the change in E).

The equation in your first post seems to contain quantities expressed in two different coordinate systems. I still don't understand it. Why u(x) and u'(x) instead of just u and u'? Are OX and O'X' what you call the frames? Then why did you also call them I and I'? How can u and u' appear in the same equation? (If I have already answered your question, I guess these things don't matter much at this point).

And I didn't mean to imply that it's wrong to use the word "tardyon". It is fine to use it. I just don't find the concept useful, and I don't think many authors use it. Yes it's faster to type than "particle moving at velocity u<c", but is it faster for the reader? Compare reading "particle moving at velocity u<c" and immediately knowing what it means, with reading "tardyon" followed by a visit to Wikipedia...

Last edited:
bernhard.rothenstein said:
In order to make my question more transparent please tell me what is the name of
Is it a relativistic identity, does it relate two covariant algebraic combinations of physical quantities measured in I and I' respectively...?
Thanks.

I have never heard of a specific name too. Only "interval invariance".

I find in the literature the following equation in which the OX(O'X') components of the same tardyon are present (u(x) and u'(x)) in I and in I' respectively.
Thanks in advance.
I call it "incorrect". What if u=0?

Thanks.
Are you referring to the quantity that appears on both sides of this equation, expressed in reference to different frames? That is the spacetime interval, as has been pointed out above.

I don't think he's asking about space-time intervals or anything specific like that. He's asking about a term that describes a whole class of mathematical expressions and/or equations. I'm still not sure what that class is. My best guess is still that the term he's looking for is "Lorentz invariant", but it's hard to tell since the equation in post #1 doesn't seem to make sense.

pam said:
I call it "incorrect". What if u=0?

Thanks. I present it again in a changed way

1=[1-VV/cc]uu'/[(u'-V)(u+V) (1)
where u and u' represent the OX(O'X') components of the same tardyon and so related by the addition law of parallel speeds. For say u'=0, u=-V and so the result is 0/0!
I have obtained (1) by considering the same Doppler Effect experiment from I and I' without using the addition law of parallel speeds. Solved for u or u' (1) gives them.
Regards

Your equation becomes u'=u+V in the limit c goes to infinity, so based on that and on what you said, I'm guessing that it's just a strange looking way to express the velocity addition law (assuming that it isn't just wrong). It's clear that "Lorentz invariant" isn't at all what you're looking for. Are you looking for a name that describes all the equations that can be derived using only the properties of Minkowski space? I don't think there is one, except I guess "relativistic" or "special relativistic" to be more precise.

Fredrik said:
Your equation becomes u'=u+V in the limit c goes to infinity, so based on that and on what you said, I'm guessing that it's just a strange looking way to express the velocity addition law (assuming that it isn't just wrong). It's clear that "Lorentz invariant" isn't at all what you're looking for. Are you looking for a name that describes all the equations that can be derived using only the properties of Minkowski space? I don't think there is one, except I guess "relativistic" or "special relativistic" to be more precise.
You guessed my question and thanks for your answer.
I think the equation is correct, il leads solved for u or for u' to the transformation of speeds. The fact that when c goes to infinity it leads to the classical addition law of speeds could be an argument for the fact that in Galileo's relativity the clocks are synchronized using a signal propagating at infinite speed, a natural conclusion for the fact that he was not able to detect a finite speed of it. (Dt=0, Dx diferent from zero).
Regards

Thanks in advance.
Multiply (u+V)=u'(1+u.V) by (u'-V)=u(1+u'.V).

1. What is the definition of "relativistic terminology"?

Relativistic terminology refers to the language and concepts used to describe and explain phenomena related to the theory of relativity, which is a fundamental theory in modern physics that describes how space and time are perceived and measured by different observers in relative motion.

2. How does relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

The theory of relativity suggests that time and space are not absolute, but are instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that measurements of time and space can differ between observers depending on their relative velocity and gravitational fields.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the behavior of objects in inertial frames of reference (i.e. non-accelerating frames), while general relativity expands on this to also include the effects of gravity on the curvature of space-time. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory that can explain phenomena such as black holes and the bending of light.

4. What are some key concepts in relativistic terminology?

Some key concepts in relativistic terminology include the principle of relativity, the constancy of the speed of light, time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc^2). These concepts help us understand how space and time are perceived and measured differently in different frames of reference.

5. How has the theory of relativity been tested and confirmed?

The theory of relativity has been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, including the Michelson-Morley experiment, which provided evidence for the constancy of the speed of light, and the observation of gravitational lensing, which supports the idea of space-time curvature. Additionally, the predictions of relativity have been consistently confirmed by modern technologies, such as GPS systems, which account for the effects of relativity on time and space measurements.