Calculating Relative Speed of Objects Moving Away from Earth

In summary: Thank you for clarifying.In summary, the astronomer sees two objects moving away from each other with velocities of 2.5×108 m/s and 1.8×108 m/s respectively. The question asks for the relative speed of the objects as observed by the astronomer, not the speed of one object with respect to the other. This can be determined using the Lorentz transformation equations.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

An astronomer sees two objects moving along the same line of sight away from each other. The first object moves away from the Earth with a velocity of 2.5×108 m/s, and the second object moves towards the Earth with a velocity of 1.8×108 m/s.
According to this astronomer how fast are the two objects moving away from each other?

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformation
V'x = (Vx - u)/(1-(u*Vx/c^2))
Vx = (V'x + u)/(1+ (u*V'x/c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to apply the transformations here.
Should I take the the reference frames used in the equations to be on the objects and attempt to find u?
Normally In a problem like this I would take the Earth to be the first frame of reference

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The question is how fast the astronomer finds that the objects are moving away from each other, not how fast the objects find that they are moving away from each other.

Likes Woolyabyss
Orodruin said:
Hint: The question is how fast the astronomer finds that the objects are moving away from each other, not how fast the objects find that they are moving away from each other.
I don't read it that way.

I think it means that knowing special relativity, what does the astronomer conclude is the relative speed of one of the objects with respect to the other.

Also, Woolyabyss needs to fix his powers of ten notation.

SammyS said:
I don't read it that way.
Woolyabyss said:
According to this astronomer how fast are the two objects moving away from each other?
I don't see how this can be read in any other way. If the relative speed was intended, this would have been the statement:
SammyS said:
what does the astronomer conclude is the relative speed of one of the objects with respect to the other.
not "according to the astronomer". This is a typical question to raise awareness over the difference between separation speed and relative speed.

Orodruin said:
I don't see how this can be read in any other way. If the relative speed was intended, this would have been the statement:

not "according to the astronomer". This is a typical question to raise awareness over the difference between separation speed and relative speed.
Yes, you have convinced me.

1. What is the Relativistic Velocity Problem?

The Relativistic Velocity Problem deals with the concept of how velocity is perceived in different frames of reference, specifically in the context of Einstein's theory of relativity. It is a physics problem that involves calculating the velocity of an object from different perspectives.

2. Why is the Relativistic Velocity Problem important?

The Relativistic Velocity Problem is important because it helps us understand how the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion, apply in different situations. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as astrophysics, where the movement of objects at high speeds must be accurately calculated.

3. What is the difference between classical and relativistic velocity?

Classical velocity is the speed of an object as measured by an observer in a stationary frame of reference, while relativistic velocity takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the measurement of velocity. Relativistic velocity is typically higher than classical velocity at high speeds.

4. How is the Relativistic Velocity Problem solved?

The Relativistic Velocity Problem is solved using the equations of special relativity, such as the Lorentz transformation, which allows us to calculate the velocity of an object from different frames of reference. It also involves using the principles of time dilation and length contraction to accurately measure the velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Relativistic Velocity Problem?

The Relativistic Velocity Problem has numerous real-world applications, including space travel, particle accelerators, and GPS technology. Without taking into account relativistic effects, these technologies would not be as accurate or functional as they are today.