Calculating Light Signal Velocity: Relativistic Effects at 0.5c

In summary, the problem involves calculating the velocity components of a light signal fired at a 60° angle north of west, according to two different observers who are moving eastward and westward relative to the person firing the signal at a speed of 0.5c. The formulas U' = (u-v)/(1-uv/c) and U = (u+v)/(1+uv/c) are used, but the angle is causing confusion. It is suggested to use the speed of light as the hypotenuse of a triangle and use trigonometry to find the y-component. More clarification or assistance is requested.
Engineergirl2

Homework Statement

You fire a light signal at 60° north of west. (a) find the velocity components of this signal according to an observer moving eastward relative to you at 0.5c. From them, determine the magnitude and direction of light signal's velocity according to the other observer. (b) find the components according to a different observer, moving westward relative to you at 0.5c.

Homework Equations

U'= (u-v)/(1-uv/c)
U= (u+v)/(1+uv/c)

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the only two formulas that I could think to use, but I am not sure how to incorporate the angle? It's throwing me off of the whole problem. Any help or explanation would be so much appreciated, thank youu!

Physics news on Phys.org
Would I use the speed of light for the hypotenuse of my triangle, since it says I'm firing a light signal, and then use simple trig, i.e. Csin60=y for my y-component? I'm really unsure.

What is relativistic velocity and how is it related to special relativity?

Relativistic velocity refers to the velocity of an object relative to the speed of light. Special relativity is a theory that explains how the laws of physics apply to objects moving at high speeds, including the effects of relativistic velocity.

What is the maximum possible velocity in special relativity?

According to special relativity, the maximum possible velocity is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is considered to be a fundamental constant in the universe and cannot be exceeded.

How does relativistic velocity affect time and space?

Special relativity states that as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object and space contracts in the direction of motion. This is known as time dilation and length contraction, respectively.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for anything, including light, to exceed the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further.

How is relativistic velocity used in practical applications?

Relativistic velocity plays a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects at extreme speeds, such as in space travel and the study of black holes.