1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Velocity (special relativity) completely lost

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You fire a light signal at 60° north of west. (a) find the velocity components of this signal according to an observer moving eastward relative to you at 0.5c. From them, determine the magnitude and direction of light signal's velocity according to the other observer. (b) find the components according to a different observer, moving westward relative to you at 0.5c.

2. Relevant equations

U'= (u-v)/(1-uv/c)
    U= (u+v)/(1+uv/c)

3. The attempt at a solution

These are the only two formulas that I could think to use, but Im not sure how to incorporate the angle? It's throwing me off of the whole problem. Any help or explanation would be so much appreciated, thank youu!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2
    Would I use the speed of light for the hypotenuse of my triangle, since it says I'm firing a light signal, and then use simple trig, i.e. Csin60=y for my y-component? I'm really unsure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook