Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic velocity

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    I would have another question. If I travel at the speed of light (or 99.9999999999....% of the speed of light) in a spaceship and i begin to run from the back of the spaceship to the front in direction of the spaceship movement, will I be moving faster than the speed of light?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nope.
    As measured from the Earth frame (in which the spacecraft has the velocity indicated), you'd be measured to have a velocity strictly below c.

4. Jan 25, 2006 #3
    You cannot just add velocities to get total velocity. Use:
    w = (u + v)/ (1 + uv/c2)
    If you define all the velocities in terms of light speed by dividing each one by “c” the formula is simpler and becomes:

w = (u + v)/ (1 + uv)

You’re more accustomed to living and working with speeds less than 0.0005
    Where doubling that speed gives you
    .001 / 1.00000025

You’ve just never needed the accuracy of dividing by such a small number at those small speeds. And just used the .001 part or (u + v).

But as one of the speeds becomes high, say above .25
    Then using the whole formula and dividing becomes important.

5. Jan 25, 2006 #4
  6. Jan 25, 2006 #5

krab

Science Advisor

The .... means the 9's go on forever? That means you are traveling exactly the speed of light. This is impossible, unless, like a photon, you have zero mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?