Relativity and accelerating observers?

In summary, Einstein's theory of relativity states that the laws of physics should remain the same for all freely moving (non-accelerating) observers. This includes both special relativity, which deals with non-accelerating frames of reference, and general relativity, which includes accelerated frames. Initially, Einstein's 1905 paper only addressed non-acceleration, but in 1915 he expanded his theory to include all observers and developed a new theory of gravity. However, special relativity can still handle accelerations due to forces, while general relativity is necessary for describing gravity and the effects of accelerating frames of reference in a non-inertial spacetime.
syano
I read in Brian Greene’s book that a founding principle of Einstein’s SR/GR theory is based on… the laws of science should remain the same for all freely moving (non-accelerating) observers.

I have read that a few times before but worded a little differently.

My question is, does this mean the laws of science do not have to remain the same for “accelerating” observers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einsteins theory of relativity addresses the concepts of accelerating observers and much information can be found on the web for general relativity.

Kurdt

Like I said I have read what I stated above several times from several sources.

These sources use different words such as "constant velocity" or "non accelerating" or " inertial" etc...

Quote: "The laws of physics are the same in any inertial (that is, non-accelerated) frame of reference." comes from this link http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/relativity.html

Brian Greene makes similar statements on page 28, 30 and 40 in "The Elegant Universe" book.

I think I understand now though...Einstein’s 1905 paper spoke in terms of non-accelerated references. But he ended up including accelerated frame references in his 1915 paper?

So when people say that Einstein asserted, the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers…. It wasn’t that the laws were any different for accelerating observers it was just that Einstein didn’t know how to incorporate accelerating observers in 1905?

Is that what had me confused?

Last edited:
syano said:
Kurdt

These sources use different words such as "constant velocity" or "non accelerating" or " inertial" etc...

Quote: "The laws of physics are the same in any inertial (that is, non-accelerated) frame of reference." comes from this link http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/relativity.html

Brian Greene makes similar statements on page 28, 30 and 40 in "The Elegant Universe" book.

I think I understand now though...Einstein’s 1905 paper spoke in terms of non-accelerated references. But he ended up including accelerated frame references in his 1915 paper?

So when people say that Einstein asserted, the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers…. It wasn’t that the laws were any different for accelerating observers it was just that Einstein didn’t know how to incorporate accelerating observers in 1905?

yeah i agreee, it seems that non-accleration is been explianed (by Newton einstein...)and been set rules to it.

but accelration will be a little different since it vary so differently. (without a pattern?)

Last edited:
It was Einstein's ponderings of acceleration that led him to come to his conclusions about gravity which is probably what many people think general relativity is all about, but as the name implies he generalised special relativity to include ALL observers and as a by-product came up with a new theory of gravity.

Kurdt is right, but let me clarify:
syano said:

Quote: "The laws of physics are the same in any inertial (that is, non-accelerated) frame of reference." comes from this link http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/theory/relativity.html...

SR is the theory that stipulates non-accelerating (as stated in your link). Einstein expanded it with GR.

As I understand it:

SR is the theory of the form-invariance of physical laws under Lorentz transformations.
GR is the theory of the form-invariance of physical laws under arbitrary transformations.

But note that one can easily deal with accelerated particles within the context of special relativity.

I am wondering about this, too. Take the kinematics formula ?D=VoT+.5AT^2 and I want to have take relativistic affects in place, would I need to do anything more than just subsitute the time dilation formula into the T variable?

Yes. Both time and length (position) are affected by a Lorentz transformation.

cragwolf said:
But note that one can easily deal with accelerated particles within the context of special relativity.

I think this point was understated in light of the previous posts: special relativity can handle accelerations due to forces if you are keeping gravitation out of the picture. To describe reference frames under the influence of gravity, you have to expand your understanding of spacetime geometry further than special relativity did--> general relativity says that the geometry is not flat.
An observer in a truly accelerated reference frame (i.e., non-inertial frame) feels the effects, and for these accelerations you can use SR. An observer in a local inertial reference frame (their own rest frame) will not feel accelerated. The idea of general relativity is that when there are no electromagnetic, weak, or strong interactions acting on an object, its frame is a local intertial reference frame.
You can make all this precise if you pick up a good book on GR like MTW ("Gravitation") and look at the sections on "accelerated observers" and "Fermi-Walker transporting".

Likes Pyter

1. What is special relativity and how does it differ from general relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the behavior of objects in a uniform motion in the absence of gravity. It is based on the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. General relativity, on the other hand, is a more comprehensive theory that includes the effects of gravity on the motion of objects. It explains how gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. How does time dilation occur in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer moving at a high velocity compared to an observer at rest. This is a consequence of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant for all observers. As an object's velocity increases, time for that object slows down relative to a stationary observer. This effect is negligible at everyday speeds, but becomes significant at velocities close to the speed of light.

3. Can an object ever travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of special relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This means that no object can exceed the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the theory of relativity explain the bending of light?

The bending of light, also known as gravitational lensing, is a phenomenon predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, massive objects, such as stars and galaxies, can bend the fabric of spacetime, causing light to follow a curved path around them. This is because mass and energy warp the fabric of spacetime, and objects follow the curvature of this fabric.

5. How are accelerating observers and gravitational fields related in general relativity?

In general relativity, accelerating observers and gravitational fields are considered to be equivalent. This means that an observer in a gravitational field will experience the same effects as an observer in an accelerated reference frame. This is known as the equivalence principle and is the basis for the theory of general relativity, which describes gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects.