Relativity and Energy Transfer via Radiation

In summary: It is locked.Dear Russ,In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity, specifically the idea that no object can be considered individually and must be viewed in relation to the universe as a whole. The manifestation of energy between objects separated by space is also mentioned, with a question about where the "mass times speed of light squared component" fits into this energy. The conversation then moves on to discussing how conventional physics incorporates relativity into various applications, such as in electronics and mass spectrometers. The analogy of fish in water is brought up, with the idea that this energy flow between bodies can help explain the relativity of space and time. However, the conversation ends with a request for clarification and a statement that the discussion is locked
Swampeast Mike
Relativity [seems] to tell me that no object, no matter how small, can be considered individually–it must be considered in its relation to the universe as a whole.

The energy that appears between objects separated by space would therefore [seem] to be the manifestation of this connection.

If this energy between objects conforms to "energy = mass times speed of light squared", where is the "mass times speed of light squared component"? If such component exists is it exclusive to one object or the other or shared between them?

Physics news on Phys.org
None of that makes any sense. You really need to start learning som real physics. Making it up as you go along is not going to help you any.

Russ,

I have most sincerely studied. The more I study, the more it seems that conventional physics conveniently ignores relativity.

Does energy not transfer between all bodies separated by space?

If this energy is not related to energy = mass times the speed of light squared, what causes it?

Can you provide any real example of "absolute zero"?

Someone here closes with a quote saying that fish cannot comprehend water because they are immersed in such. If I view this energy that flows between bodies as our "water", suddenly the relativity of space and time make sense!

Swampeast Mike said:
Russ,

I have most sincerely studied. The more I study, the more it seems that conventional physics conveniently ignores relativity.

Let's see... We use relativistic corrections in making sure we understand how the semiconductors band structure in your electronics work.

I have to make sure I make sure I include relativistic effects to measure the energy of the electrons in a linear accelerator in a mass spectrometer - if I don't do that, things to nuts. The same with every high energy physics experiments.

The GPS system has to continually make relativistic corrections, or else, within a few minutes, it will be off by miles!

So where is this that conventional physics "conveniently ignores relativity"?

Someone here closes with a quote saying that fish cannot comprehend water because they are immersed in such. If I view this energy that flows between bodies as our "water", suddenly the relativity of space and time make sense!

And you think that analogy so valid that it makes sense? Honestly? Find. Let's examine that, shall we?

Water has both laminar and turbulent flow. Can you show me where these are in your "energy flow", what caused them, and how are they detected?

Water has a degree of viscosity due to the intermolecular forces - it what causes water to be a cohesive liquid. This creates boundary conditions between the non-moving body and the center of the fluid. Any chemical engineer can tell you this. So what cause the viscosity in your energy flow and how are the boundary conditions determined?

Large velocity of water flow creates Bernoulli effects. Can you show me the analogous effect due to your energy flow, especially in relations to variation with speed as seen in the typical water flow.

Etc.

Zz.

This is what I mean, Mike:
Swampeast Mike said:
Does energy not transfer between all bodies separated by space?
That question has no meaning unless you specify what kind of energy you are talking about. About the only kind that is constantly being transferred back and forth by all objects is via blackbody radiation. But I doubt that's what you mean when you use the word.

Then this...
If this energy between objects conforms to "energy = mass times speed of light squared", where is the "mass times speed of light squared component"?
...seems to indicate that you haven't even read/comprehended a 1-paragraph, layman's explanation of what that equation means*. And maybe we should start there: explain in your own words what you think that equations means and we'll help you understand it better if it is incorrect.

*This problem may go even deeper though: it may be that you don't understand the very concept of a mathematical equation. Ie, can you explain how that equation is related to the Newtonian kinetic energy equation or just what the Newtonian kinetic energy equation means when you apply that question you just asked?

russ_watters said:
explain in your own words what you think that (E=MC2) equations means and we'll help you understand it better if it is incorrect.

Energy is mass that cannot currently be contained in the space it occupies.

Water has both laminar and turbulent flow. Can you show me where these are in your "energy flow"

"Radiation" has both amplitude and frequency.

"Gravity" has both attraction and repulsion.

"Light" has both color and intensity.

"Heat" has both acceptance and reflectance.

Electromagnetic, gravitational, strong and weak. All defined and measured in terms of their own duality.

what caused them

Bodies separated by space both conduct and resist.

Anyone got a bucket? It's getting deep in here.

SM,
Your posts so far have been near undecipherable, as it appears that you have just thrown a bunch of unrelated concepts together. Your answer to Zz came nowhere near answering his question.

As such, I see no reason to let this thread continue.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, is a set of two theories that describe the relationship between space and time, and the effect of gravity on these concepts. The theories, known as the special and general theory of relativity, revolutionized our understanding of the physical world and have stood the test of numerous experiments and observations.

2. How does relativity impact the concept of energy transfer?

Relativity has a significant impact on the concept of energy transfer, particularly through the process of radiation. According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other. This means that radiation, which is a form of energy, can be transformed into matter and vice versa. Additionally, the theory of relativity has also helped us understand the concept of kinetic energy and its relationship to an object's mass and velocity.

3. What is the role of radiation in energy transfer?

Radiation plays a crucial role in energy transfer, especially in the transfer of heat. Radiation is the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves, such as light and heat waves. In the process of radiation, energy is transferred from one object to another without the need for a medium. This phenomenon is essential in various natural processes, such as the warmth of the sun reaching Earth through radiation, and is also utilized in various technologies, such as solar panels.

4. How does the theory of relativity explain the behavior of particles in energy transfer?

The theory of relativity has helped us understand the behavior of particles, particularly in the process of energy transfer. According to the theory, objects with mass can never travel at the speed of light, and their mass increases as they approach the speed of light. This phenomenon is known as time dilation, and it has been observed in experiments with particles such as electrons, which have been found to have a longer lifetime when traveling at high speeds due to their increased mass.

5. How has our understanding of relativity and energy transfer evolved over time?

Our understanding of relativity and energy transfer has evolved significantly over time, thanks to continuous research and experiments. Initially, the theory of relativity was met with skepticism and even criticism, but as more evidence emerged, it gradually gained acceptance and is now a fundamental concept in modern physics. Similarly, our understanding of energy transfer, particularly through radiation, has improved with advancements in technology and scientific techniques, allowing us to observe and study these phenomena in greater detail.