Can particles and geometry coexist in gravitational theory?

In summary: A variety of geometric structures are found to exist in the end, including Riemannian manifolds, pseudo-Riemannian manifolds, and even foliations of the Kleinian group.
mewmew
I am doing some research this summer with a professor and we are learning GR. For the first time I am thinking about gravity actually in terms of geometry and started to ask my professor questions. He is a VERY smart man but I didn't get exactly what I was looking for with one question. I asked if space actually was geometry, as opposed to say just math that is geometry that explains how things work and he said it was actually geometry. I believe this to be true and I like it a lot, but he also said gravitons are real. I asked how can gravitons be real in GR and he seemed to slightly side step it and tell me that both are correct. He is very smart and perhaps just didn't have the time to explain to me how both can co exist or perhaps it is a question that doesn't have a clear cut answer. That is what I want to ask you guys! Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The GR geometry changes are real; they have been observed. Your professor may be a string theorist; they believe gravitons are real, but no-one has ever detected one.

Yes, as a matter of fact he is. He said that not many people however would disagree that gravitons are real, is this perhaps wrong? He also said we are quite far away from finding them and that he will most likely not live to see them discovered but may live to see gravitational waves discovered which are more an effect of the geometry. that is of course just a guess. Now, is it something like an electron where something can be a "wave" and a particle? I just don't see how gravitons and GR mesh together but only know part of the fundementals of both.

Last edited:
You might take a look at

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/astro-ph/0006423

I don't really understand all the details, but this much I do understand:

You start out with a spin-2 field theory in flat space-time, then find out that because gravity couples to everything (well, everything with energy or pressure), this flat metric is not observable, and that observable space-time must have a non-Miskowskian geometry. So you start with "particles", and wind up with geometry in the end.

Or to quote from the abstract

Although this field theoretic approach, which has been advocated repeatedly by a number of authors, starts with a spin-2 theory on Minkowski spacetime, it turns out in the end that the flat metric is actually unobservable, and that the physical metric is curved and dynamical.

1. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to gravitons?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It describes how gravity is not a force between masses, but rather the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. Gravitons, on the other hand, are hypothetical particles that are theorized to be the carriers of the force of gravity in quantum physics. The theory of relativity and the concept of gravitons are both attempts to explain the phenomenon of gravity, but they approach it from different perspectives.

2. How do gravitons fit into the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. While it successfully explains three out of the four fundamental forces (electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear), it does not include gravity. Gravitons, as hypothetical particles that carry the force of gravity, do not currently fit into the Standard Model. This is one of the major challenges in physics and is a topic of ongoing research and debate.

3. Can gravitons be observed or detected?

As of now, gravitons have not been directly observed or detected. This is because they are predicted to have extremely low mass and interact very weakly with other particles. However, scientists have indirectly observed the effects of gravity, which supports the existence of gravitons. In addition, experiments are being conducted to try and detect gravitons using advanced technologies and techniques.

4. How does the concept of gravitons impact our understanding of the universe?

The existence of gravitons and the concept of quantum gravity (the merging of quantum mechanics and general relativity) have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. They could potentially help us understand the behavior of particles at the smallest scales and the nature of gravity at the largest scales. The search for gravitons and a unified theory of everything is an ongoing quest in physics.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding relativity and gravitons?

While the theory of relativity and the concept of gravitons may seem abstract, they have practical applications in modern technology. For example, the theory of relativity is essential for the functioning of GPS systems. Without accounting for the effects of relativity, GPS devices would not be as accurate. Additionally, understanding the behavior of gravitons and gravity at a fundamental level could lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as space exploration and energy production.