Relativity and Time Dilation

• Thread starter trevorr93
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In which of the following situations is the time interval between the two events in one frame equal to (LORENZ FACTOR (special y symbol)) multiplied by the time interval in the other frame. explain briefly.

a) A muon is created (event #1) high in earth's atmosphere and decays (event #2) at sea-level. The frames are the muon and the earth.

Can someone please explain this question and this topic in general? I am finding the readings very hard to understand.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

BruceW
Homework Helper
Hmm, I don't think this forum is meant for explaining physics, which may be why you haven't gotten any replies yet.

Usually, someone learns the physics, then when they are set a problem, they do the problem, and show their working on this forum if they think they have gone wrong.

Have you learned enough to give the question an attempt? By the sounds of the post, I'd guess you're not there yet. Are you learning relativity in college or something? Do you have a textbook?

it's his stinkin isu for grade 12 physics. we are given a booklet with a few examples but its really complicated stuff.