1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity and Transformations

Tags:
  1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    1. Show that if we transform first in the x-direction and then in the minus x direction with the same speed (v), we end up with the original space-time coordinates. Note: For this problem you will need to apply the transformation equation twice. You will also need to apply the transformations to both x and t.

2. Relevant equations

x' = \gamma(x-Vt)
    y' = y
    z' = z
    t' = \gamma(t-(Vx)/c^2))

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to plug in -x into the x for x' and then plug in x' whenever I found an x. However, this didn't get me far.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is asking you to apply the Lorentz transformation once with velocity v and once to the resulting coordinates with velocity -v (you can call the coordinates resulting from this t'' and x''). Your task is then to show that x'' = x and t'' = t. The problem does not tell you to switch the directions of the x or t axes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted