Solving Relativity and Decay Problems

In summary: Therefore, the photon must have zero momentum as well, which is impossible for a photon. So, the emission is impossible.In summary, it is impossible for a free electron in a vacuum at velocity v to emit a single photon due to conservation of momentum and energy. One approach to proving this is by accounting for the emission angle, but an easier way is to consider the emission in the initial rest frame of the electron and use the principle of relativity to show that the emission is impossible.
Inconsistency
Hello,

1. Show that a free electron in a vacuum at velocity v cannot emit a single photon.

My ideas:

Momentum is conserved. Energy is conserved.

Hence (E(before)=E(after)): gamma(before)*m(e)*c^2 = E(photon) + gamma(after)*m(e)*c^2

where E(photon)=hc/lamda

(P(before)=P(after)): gamma(before)*m(e)*v(after) = E(photon)/c + gamma(after)*m(e)*v(after), where P and v are vectors.

This is where I get stuck. Do I have to worry about the emisssion angle - i.e. does the electron change direction? How do I proceed?

--

Also, where can I find information about two body decay of a moving particle?
I have computed the energy and velocity of a particle (pi meson), which now decays into two photons. I imagine the photon energies depend on the emission angles - but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in principle you should account for the possiblity that the photon is emitted at some angle relative to the electron's initial velocity. This gives you two equations for momentum conservation and one for energy conservation and you can show from these equations that the emission is impossible.

An easier way to approach to problem is to describe the emission of the photon in the initial rest frame of the electron. You can then make an argument based on the principle of relativity.

"An easier way to approach to problem is to describe the emission of the photon in the initial rest frame of the electron. You can then make an argument based on the principle of relativity."

Hmm... the electron will see the photon as moving away with c. I don't follow you.

Hint: if you consider the emission in the frame where the electron is initially at rest, the momentum of the system is zero.

1. What is the theory of relativity and why is it important?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It is important because it has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has paved the way for many advancements in technology, such as GPS systems.

2. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of decay processes?

The theory of relativity states that time is a relative concept and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time can pass at different rates for different observers. In the context of decay processes, this means that the rate of decay can be affected by the relative motion of the observer and the object, and by the strength of the gravitational field.

3. What are some practical applications of solving relativity and decay problems?

One practical application is in the field of nuclear physics, where the theory of relativity helps scientists understand the decay of unstable nuclei. This knowledge is crucial in the development of nuclear power and weapons. Additionally, the theory of relativity is also used in GPS systems to accurately measure time and location.

4. What are some common challenges in solving relativity and decay problems?

One common challenge is understanding and manipulating the complex mathematical equations involved in the theory of relativity. Another challenge is taking into account all the different factors that can affect the rate of decay, such as velocity and gravity. Additionally, experimental data may not always match theoretical predictions, requiring further analysis and problem-solving.

5. How do scientists approach solving relativity and decay problems?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental data to solve relativity and decay problems. They also use advanced mathematical models and computer simulations to make predictions and test different scenarios. Collaboration and peer review within the scientific community are also important in finding solutions to complex problems.