1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity & decay

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    Well, I dont want the solution but a few ideas to start solving this..

Two unstable particles move in the reference frame M with a velocity v=0.992c. The distance between them in this reference frame is l=110 m. At a certain moment both particles decay simultaneously in this frame. What time interval between the moments of decay of the 2 particles will be observed in the frame ? Which particle decays later in this frame?

Please tell me a bit on the concept of particle decay in a relativistic case like this..
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2

Gold Member

I don't know if I'm misreading this. You say the decays are simultaneous when seen from M. So the question "Which particle decays later in this frame?" ( M ?) is a bit pointless. There are frames where either particle will be seen to decay before the other.
  4. May 5, 2010 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me like the OP 'cut and pasted' this problem from somewhere and in the process several key words were dropped.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook