Calculate Time Difference: Relativity Equation for Sun and Earth Masses

• Thread starter kajak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time moving slower for larger objects, as demonstrated by the example of a day on the sun being equivalent to a month on Earth. The conversation also touches on the equation for calculating the difference in time between larger objects, which is dependent on the strength of their gravitational fields. The example of the Earth and moon's gravitational fields is used to illustrate this concept.
kajak
Hey everyone,

This is my 1st post here. I need help in finding an equation. I read the time moves slower for larger objects that smaller ones. For example a day form the sun’s point of view could be equal to let's say a month in earth’s view. So if I have the mass of Earth and the sun’s mass how can I calculate the exact difference in time? I.e.: 1 sun day equals how many human days. I hope o asked in a clear way. I’m not asking how many times the Earth rotates in 1 sun rotation. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Time moves more slowly in a gravitational field, but the difference between the Sun and Earth gravitational fields is not that great. Gravity depends on density and distance from the centre of gravity so the sun although far larger than the Earth does not experience a time frame that is greatly different to that on Earth.

well i am aware of that. i gave the Earth and the sun as examples. i need the equation to calculate larger sizes.

It has nothing to do with size - clocks run slower in a stronger gravitational potential - if you placed a clock "A" close to an object the size of the Earth that had a much larger density than the earth, the clock "A" would run slower than a clock "B" placed near the surface of the Sun.

Last edited:
In order to understand this you have to examine the behaviour of gravity which is inversely proportional to the distance from the centre of gravity. In other words a clock at sea level and a clock at the top of a tall building will measure time at different rates, even though they are both on Earth. Even your feet experience more gravity than does your head.

Try this example which I hope will help you to understand how a gravity field operates. The mass of the Earth is 81.3 times greater than the Moon, so we might expect the Earth’s gravity to be 81.3 times greater than that of the moon. Gravity weakens as we move away from the centre of gravity. This means that on the surface of the moon, we are 1,738 km from its centre of gravity but on the Earth’s surface, we are 6,371 km from the centre of gravity. This distance is 3.666 times greater on Earth, so to compare surface gravity we need to divide Earth’s 81.3 times greater gravitational potential by 3.666(squared) or 13.44. The result is that Earth’s gravity is only 6.05 times greater than the moon’s despite its mass being 81.3 times greater.

1. How is the time difference calculated between the sun and Earth masses?

The time difference between the sun and Earth masses is calculated using the relativity equation, which takes into account the masses of both bodies, the speed of light, and the distance between them. This equation was developed by Albert Einstein and is based on his theory of general relativity.

2. Why is time difference important in the study of relativity?

Time difference is important in the study of relativity because it helps us understand the effects of gravity on time. According to Einstein's theory, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as mass and velocity. By calculating the time difference between massive objects like the sun and Earth, we can gain a better understanding of how gravity works and its impact on time.

3. How does the mass of the sun and Earth affect the time difference?

The mass of the sun and Earth directly affects the time difference between them. The greater the mass of an object, the more it warps the fabric of space-time, causing time to pass slower in its presence. This is why time passes slower on the surface of the Earth compared to in space, where the gravitational pull of the sun is much weaker.

4. Is the time difference between the sun and Earth constant?

No, the time difference between the sun and Earth is not constant. It can vary depending on the distance between the two bodies, as well as any changes in their masses or velocities. Additionally, the effects of relativity become more pronounced as the distance between objects increases, so the time difference between the sun and Earth may be different compared to the time difference between two objects on Earth.

5. How is the time difference between the sun and Earth measured?

The time difference between the sun and Earth can be measured using highly accurate clocks, such as atomic clocks. These clocks are able to measure the tiny differences in time caused by the warping of space-time. Scientists also use precise measurements of the distance between the sun and Earth, as well as the masses of the two bodies, to calculate the time difference.