Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity in question

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I would like to pose the following question:

When an observer (massive observer) travels at high velocity, It is known that he will perceive the passing masses with higher mass values. This mass magnification is one of the effects of relative movement as proposed by Einstein. I am interested to know if there is any specific mention to the nature of this mass magnification. It is the magnification of the inertial mass or the gravitational (or both) ? I have some reasons to believe that only the inertial mass has its value magnified when seen by a moving observer. The experiment on the gravitational lens carried out by Einstein and co-workers in 1919 only makes sense to me if one considers the gravitational mass of the heavenly bodies envolved unchanged.

Thank you in advance,

DaTArio

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2
    I would like to appologize for submitting twice and for not seeing Antiphon's question which is almost the same thing I am asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?