1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity - Light At An Angle

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A light beam is emitted at an angle [tex]\theta_o[/tex] with respect to the x' axis in S'

a) Find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] the beam makes with respect to the x axis in S.
    - Ans. : [tex] cos\theta = (cos\theta_o + \frac{v}{c})(1 + \frac{v}{c} cos\theta_o)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    From an example problem in our book, we know that with a ruler at an angle in the same situation has angle in laboratory frame:

[tex] \theta = arctan(tan(\theta_o)\gamma)[/tex], where [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

if you just take cos of both sides, then you have

[tex]cos\theta = cos(arctan((tan(\theta_o)\gamma)))[/tex]

Drawing a triangle with the right leg as [tex]tan(\theta_o)[/tex] and the bottom leg as [tex]\frac{1}{\gamma}[/tex] you get a hypotenuse of [tex]\sqrt{(\frac{1}{\gamma})^2 + tan(\theta_o)^2}[/tex]

from this i narrowed it down to

[tex]cos\theta = \frac{\frac{1}{\gamma}}{\sqrt{(\frac{1}{\gamma})^2 + tan(\theta_o)^2}}[/tex][tex] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + frac{\gamma*2}{cos{\theta_o)^2} - \gamma^2}}[/tex]

I'm not seeing how this can reduce to my answer I'm suppose to get yet?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That answer doesn't look right. It should be:

[tex] cos\theta = \frac{(cos\theta_o + \frac{v}{c})}{(1 + \frac{v}{c} cos\theta_o)}[/tex]

The easy way to derive it is to use the velocity transformations.

4. May 17, 2009 #3
    oops I missed the divide sign in my book - your answer is the right one.

I'll give that a shot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook