Understanding Relativity: Deciphering Time and Space Graphs

• Thread starter lom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation is about a graph that is difficult to understand. The graph shows the movement of a pole and a barn on a time and x-axis. The person speaking is having trouble visualizing the movement and can only see lines on the graph. The other person explains that it's like two trains on adjacent tracks, and the person on one train can't tell which train is moving. In this case, the barn and runner are the two trains and the person can consider the runner as stationary and the barn as moving backwards. The world-lines on the graph always slope towards the direction of motion.
lom
http://i37.tinypic.com/avpjsh.jpg

i can't understand the graph.

i know that its time and x axes graph

but i can imagine the pole moving
or the barn moving to the runner

all i see is some lines

the part when the barn moving to the runner is the hardest graph

i don't know what happening there

Physics news on Phys.org
lom said:
… the part when the barn moving to the runner is the hardest graph

i don't know what happening there

Hi lom! :smile:

it's like two trains on adjacent track …

you're on one train, looking at the other, and you can't tell which train is moving.

Here, the barn is one train, and the runner is the other train.

You can regard the runner as stationary, and in that case the barn must be moving.

Since they're getting closer (well, until he gets inside! :rolleyes:), that means the barn must be moving backwards. :smile:

(and world-lines always slope towards the direction of motion)

1. What is relativity and why is it important?

Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that explains the relationship between time and space. It is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has been confirmed through numerous experiments.

2. How does relativity impact our daily lives?

Relativity has a major impact on our daily lives, especially in the fields of technology and transportation. GPS systems, for example, rely on the principles of relativity to function accurately. Moreover, our understanding of time and space is shaped by relativity, influencing our perception of the world.

3. What are time and space graphs and how do they relate to relativity?

A time and space graph is a visual representation of the relationship between time and space. In relativity, these graphs are used to depict the warping of time and space due to the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars, and the effects of gravity on the movement of objects through spacetime.

4. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between time and space in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity. Special relativity is based on the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, while general relativity introduces the concept of spacetime curvature.

5. How can I better understand relativity and its concepts?

Understanding relativity can be challenging, but there are several resources available to help. You can start by reading books or watching videos that explain the theory in simpler terms. It may also be helpful to study the mathematics behind relativity, as it provides a deeper understanding of the concepts. Additionally, discussing and asking questions with other scientists or experts in the field can also aid in understanding relativity.