Relativity of Mass or 'Weight' ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass or weight of hydrogen and its effects on a balloon filled with it. There is also mention of the density and weight of hydrogen, and a reference to the website superstringtheory.com where there is discussion about the user kx21 and whether they are a bot or a real person.
toe21k

Hydogen's Mass or 'Weight' is negative (i.e. less than 0 kg)

Given a Balloon filled with 'Hydrogen'...

[?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by toe21k

Hydogen's Mass or 'Weight' is negative (i.e. less than 0 kg)

Only if we first set the mass or weight of air as our "0" point. In a vacuum, or even a near-vacuum like on the Moon or at very high altitude, a hydrogen balloon will fall.

That depends upon the strength of balloon I suspect (I confess I have never actually done the experiment!) that a standard helium filled balloon (filled with, say, 1/10 the helium one would normally put in it), on the moon, would not burst but would fall as Lurch said.

By the way, the original post:
[quoge]Hydogen's Mass or 'Weight' is negative (i.e. less than 0 kg)[/quote]
is non-sense for a variety of reasons.

Hydrogen does not have a specific weight or mass: it has density measured (mass-density) of kg/m3 or (weight-density) Newtons/m3.

Nothing has negative density (or weight or mass) pretty much by definition.

So as Zero...

i.e. 'Nothing' has Zero density (or weight or mass...etc.).
http://superstringtheory.com/forum/partboard/messages20/46.html

Last edited by a moderator:
And the point of the last two posts was?

kx21 - folk on superstringtheory.com thought she was a bot

For those who are interested, a look at some of the threads on the (now defunct?) superstringtheory.com forum may give some insight into kx21 and what meaning her posts have.

There was, IIRC, an exchange between two old hands on that forum, discussing whether kx21 was real, or just a bot.

Of course, toe21k may have no relation whatsoever to kx21 ...

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a fundamental property of an object, which is a measure of the amount of matter it contains. Weight, on the other hand, is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of the location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity at that location.

2. How does the theory of relativity affect the concept of mass or weight?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the mass or weight of an object can appear different depending on the observer's frame of reference.

3. Does the mass or weight of an object change with its speed?

According to the theory of relativity, the mass of an object increases as its speed approaches the speed of light. This phenomenon is known as relativistic mass. However, the weight of an object remains constant as it is dependent on the force of gravity, not the speed of the object.

4. How does the curvature of space-time affect mass or weight?

The theory of general relativity states that mass and energy can cause curvature in the fabric of space-time. This means that the presence of massive objects can affect the motion of other objects around them, including their weight. For example, objects in orbit around a massive body experience less weight than those on the surface.

5. Can mass or weight be converted into each other?

No, mass and weight are two separate physical quantities and cannot be converted into each other. Mass can be converted into energy through the famous equation E=mc², but this does not change the weight of the object. Weight can also be affected by changes in the object's mass, but the two cannot be directly converted into each other.