Solving Special Relativity: Tom's Journey Home

In summary: The time it would take for a signal to travel from the Earth to Astrid is 3 × 10^5 years = 30,000 years.
alizeid
Hi!

I have difficulty with the English language but will try my best. I have recently begun to study the theory of special relativity. , I understand what the relativity of time is, relativity of length and Lorentz transformations. But I still have difficulty with solving data and do not know how I should think. I am grateful if anyone can help me. Let me give an example;On New Year's Day 2500 gives the astronaut Tom off exploring in the expanse. He takes off with speed 0,6c. After four years of traveling away from the Earth (according to him), she witnesses a live television broadcast of the New Year celebrations on earth. This did her to begin long for home. She turns the spaceship and steer back toward Earth with the same speed as before, and is home for another four years.

a) How much time has elapsed on Earth during her absence?

b) What is the New Year celebration was Astrid watched on TV before she turned?

c) During the entire trip home sits Astrid front of the TV and giggle when she witnesses the continuous direct broadcast television programs from the earth. How many times quickly moves everything on Astrid's telescreen during her journey home?

I can solve A without any problem and get the right answer but then I want to solve b and c, it becomes total blockage in the brain, a complete misfit. I do not know how to think. Can anyone help me with how to do and think? what steps need to be understood and what is actually happens. I have no ide how to solve b and c. I'am very grateful if someone can help me. Thanking you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the answer you got for (A)?

How far away was Tom/Astrid when he/she turned around, and which year was on Earth then (as seen from earth)?
Did you draw a spacetime diagram?

The solution for a is 10 years. How I came up with this, You can take a look to the picture below.

"How far away was Tom/Astrid when he/she turned around, and which year was on Earth then (as seen from earth)?"

the answer is as seen from earth, she is 3 lightyears away from the Earth and and it took five years.

Attachments

• rel1.JPG
    rel1.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 330
If Astrid is 3 light years away in the year 2505, which new year celebration can she see?
Based on that, she saw X years of television in 4 years. This also allows to answer (c) for one direction, the other direction works in the same way.

sorry, can you explain more. i can't get it:-(

How long did the TV transmission travel to reach the point in a distance of 3 light years?

1. What is the concept of special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. How is special relativity applied in "Tom's Journey Home"?

In "Tom's Journey Home", special relativity is used to explain the concept of time dilation. As Tom travels at high speeds, time slows down for him relative to an observer on Earth. This is due to the relative motion between the two frames of reference.

3. How does time dilation affect Tom's journey?

As time slows down for Tom, he experiences a slower progression of time compared to an observer on Earth. This means that while Tom may feel like he has only traveled a short distance, a longer period of time has passed on Earth. This is why Tom's journey takes much longer from the perspective of an observer on Earth.

4. Is the concept of special relativity proven by scientific experiments?

Yes, the concept of special relativity has been extensively tested and verified through numerous experiments. One of the most famous experiments is the Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971, which showed that time dilation does occur as predicted by special relativity.

5. Can special relativity be applied to objects moving at any speed?

No, special relativity only applies to objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line. It does not apply to objects that are accelerating or changing direction. Additionally, the effects of special relativity are only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light.