Relativity - photon 'decay'

In summary, it is impossible for a photon to decay into a positron and an electron because the conservation of linear momentum and energy cannot be satisfied in any reference frame. In the center-of-mass frame of the particles, the total momentum before the decay would be solely that of the photon, which is impossible as photons always have non-zero momentum. Therefore, the decay process is impossible under any conditions.
iloveannaw

Homework Statement

A photon decays into a positron and an electron - show why this is impossible. Under what conditions could this be possible?

Homework Equations

conservation of linear momentum:
[tex] P_{PHOTON} = P_{POSITRON} + P_{ELECTRON} [/tex]

conservation of energy:
[tex] E_{PHOTON} = E_{POSITRON} + E_{ELECTRON} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] P_{PHOTON} = P_{POSITRON} + P_{ELECTRON} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{E_{PHOTON}}{c} = \gamma mu + \gamma mu = 2\gamma mu [/tex][tex] E_{PHOTON} = E_{POSITRON} + E_{ELECTRON} [/tex]
[tex] E_{PHOTON} = \gamma mc^{2} + \gamma mc^{2} = 2\gamma mc^{2} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{E_{PHOTON}}{c} = 2\gamma mu = \frac{2\gamma mc^{2}}{c} [/tex]

therefore:

[tex] u = c [/tex] …which would be impossible. is this right? I'm a bit confused on how you apply conservation of energy and momentum in relativity. for instance i haven't considered any reference frames here and I'm not sure if it requires some kind of transformation.

any help is appreciated, thank you!

btw I've assumed that the product particles have equal rest mass and share the energy equally. and u is the velocity of the positron/ electron

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your momentum conservation equation assumes that the electron and positron have the same speed and direction of travel. This is not necessarily the case. Actually the argument for this is quite simple. I will point you in the right direction. Consider the center-of-mass frame of the two particles. In that frame, what is the momentum after the "decay" of the single photon? What about before the "decay"?

kuruman said:
Your momentum conservation equation assumes that the electron and positron have the same speed and direction of travel. This is not necessarily the case. Actually the argument for this is quite simple. I will point you in the right direction. Consider the center-of-mass frame of the two particles. In that frame, what is the momentum after the "decay" of the single photon? What about before the "decay"?

To complement this argument, consider a photon in any frame of reference, what is its momentum?

thanks, so it's just a case of showing that in the c.o.m frame the process doesn't conserve momentum, e.g. the sum of momenta of products is zero, which doesn't tally with momentum of the photon (always > 0).

consider a photon in any frame of reference

hi, not sure how to apply this to all reference frames. surely in some momentum is conserved?

also, when solving particle production problems etc. is it generally best to work in the c.o.m frame to ensure linear momentum is conserved? perhaps I've misunderstood something...

thanks again!

Last edited:
iloveannaw said:
thanks, so it's just a case of showing that in the c.o.m frame the process doesn't conserve momentum, e.g. the sum of momenta of products is zero, which doesn't tally with momentum of the photon (always > 0).

hi, not sure how to apply this to all reference frames. surely in some momentum is conserved?

also, when solving particle production problems etc. is it generally best to work in the c.o.m frame to ensure linear momentum is conserved? perhaps I've misunderstood something...

thanks again!

Remember the two postulates of Special Relativity. What do they say about the speed of light?

The center of mass frame is useful in certain situations. Since total linear momentum is zero, some of the equations are simpler to deal with. However, there are cases in which there is an easier solution that doesn't involve considering the center of mass frame.

iloveannaw said:

Momentum is conserved in every reference frame.

iloveannaw said:

thanks again!

You've hit the nail on the head, but didn't notice it. :)

Whenever you have two material particles (Not photons, meaning that their velocity is confined to be lower than the speed of light), you can always find a frame of reference in which the total momentum is 0.

In this frame of reference, the total momentum before the decay, would be solely that of the photon, but that would have to be 0, which is impossible, because as you stated, a photon always has non-zero momentum in every possible frame of reference (Ones moving at the speed of light are senseless)

What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein which describes the relationship between space and time. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and how the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and has zero mass. It is the smallest unit of light and is responsible for all electromagnetic interactions.

What is 'decay' in the context of relativity and photons?

In the context of relativity and photons, 'decay' refers to the process by which a high-energy photon loses its energy and transforms into lower-energy particles, such as an electron-positron pair. This process is also known as pair production.

Can photons really decay?

Yes, photons can decay in certain situations, such as when they interact with other particles or in the presence of a strong electric or magnetic field. However, in most cases, photons are stable and do not decay.

What is the significance of photon decay in relativity?

The concept of photon decay in relativity is important because it helps to explain certain phenomena, such as the creation of matter from light and the behavior of particles in high-energy environments. It also helps to support the theory of relativity and our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.