Relativity Problem: Find Passenger Speed Relative to Bank

• Thread starter bfr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the problem involves a ferry boat traveling at 3 km/h with respect to the water in a river flowing at 4 km/h. A passenger walks diagonally towards the stern of the boat with a speed of 1.39 m/s at an angle of 53.1 degrees towards the upstream direction. To find the passenger's speed relative to the bank, you can use vector addition to find their velocity in the reference frame of the water, and then use another vector addition to find their velocity relative to the bank. This is not a relativity question, as the speeds are too small for relativity to be relevant.
bfr

Homework Statement

A ferry boat headed directly away from the river bank is traveling at 3 km/h with respect to the water in a river flowing at 4 km/h. A passenger walks diagonally toward the stern of the boat with a speed of 1.39 m/s. The passenger's path is at an angle of 53.1 degrees toward the upstream direction from the length of the boat. What is the passenger's speed relative to the bank?

Homework Equations

v'=(u+v)/(1+(u*v)/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the speeds form a triangle with leg lengths 3 and 4 and hypotenuse 5. I'm not sure where to go from there, though...

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you might have to use 2 lorentz transformations. First, i would set up my rest frame, S, to be the water, and the moving S' frame to be the boat. I would then find the velocity of the person in the reference frame of the water, S. I would then use the lorentz transformations again, setting my new rest frame to be the bank and my moving frame to be the water. This way you willk now the velocity of the person relative of the water and will be able to transform it to the bank. this might be wrong though -- my spec rel is not great.

bfr said:
… 3 km/h … 4 km/h … 1.39 m/s …

Hi bfr! :smile:

erm … are you sure this is a relativity question? :confused:

The speeds are far too small for relativity to be relevant … I think you're expected to treat it as a straightforward vector addition problem. :smile:

1. How is the passenger speed relative to the bank calculated in the Relativity Problem?

In the Relativity Problem, the passenger speed relative to the bank can be calculated using the equation: v = (vr + vp) / (1 + (vr * vp/c2)), where v is the passenger speed relative to the bank, vr is the river's speed, vp is the passenger's speed, and c is the speed of light.

2. Why is it important to consider relativity in this problem?

It is important to consider relativity in this problem because the passenger's speed relative to the bank is affected by the river's speed, which is a relative measurement. Ignoring relativity could lead to inaccurate calculations and understanding of the situation.

3. Can the speed of light be used as the river's speed in the Relativity Problem?

No, the speed of light cannot be used as the river's speed in the Relativity Problem. The speed of light is a constant and cannot be compared to the river's speed, which is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

4. How does the passenger's speed relative to the bank change if the river's speed increases?

If the river's speed increases, the passenger's speed relative to the bank will also increase. This is because the numerator of the equation for calculating the passenger's speed contains both the river's speed and the passenger's speed, and the denominator contains the product of the two.

5. Is the Relativity Problem a real-life scenario or just a theoretical concept?

The Relativity Problem is a theoretical concept used to explain the effects of relativity on relative measurements. While it may not be a real-life scenario, it helps us understand and make sense of the principles of relativity in various situations.