1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Question

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    Two spaceships, each measuring 100 m in its own rest frame, pass by each other traveling
    in opposite directions. Instruments on board spaceship A determine that the front of spaceship B requires 5x10^-6 sec to traverse the full length of A.

(a) What is the relative velocity v of the two spaceships?
    (b) How much time elapses on a clock on spaceship B as it traverses the full length of A?

a) Well, the observer in A, in his frame, sees that B takes 5e-6 sec to go 100 m, so this means that the relative velocity, v, of the two spaceships is [tex]\boxed{100/(5 \cdot 10^{-6}) = 2\cdot 10^7 \text{m/s}}[/tex].
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

b) We know that observer B will still observe the same relative velocity as A, by symmetry. Now, from B's reference frame, A travels at [tex]2\cdot 10^6 \text{m/s}[/tex] through [tex]100 \text{m}[/tex], so B also measures time [tex]5 \cdot 10^{-6} \text{sec}[/tex].

Is my work above correct? Part b) seems wrong, because both measure the same time... doesn't this usually not happen?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2
    Ah, I think I see my mistake in part b)... there is a length contraction that B sees when A moves past, so the time isn't the same. Is this correct?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?