1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity question.

1. Aug 25, 2008 #1
    A space shuttle is in orbit travelling with velocity v with respect to the Earth, along the x direction. The crew launch a satellite forward with velocity u in their own rest frame. The speed of the satellite relative to the Earth is w. A beacon on the satellite emits photons of wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] in all directions in the satellite rest frame.

i) Define the z axis as the axis joining the photon to the Earth, i.e perpendicular to its velocity in the rest frame of the satellite. Give an expression in terms of w and [tex]\lambda0[/tex] for
    1. the wavelength [tex]\lambda1[/tex], of a photon emitted along the x axis

2. the wavelength [tex]\lambda2[/tex], of a photon emitted along the z axis

as seen by an observer stationary with respect to the Earth.

ii)A realistic value for w is v=30m/s. comment on the values of [tex]\lambda1[/tex] and [tex]\lambda2[/tex] in this case, and on the implications of your answer for GPS satellites which emit a signal at a particular frequency.

iii)Write down the equation for time dilation, and comment on the effect on a clock on the satellite which has to stay in time with one on the Earth.

iv)Wrtie down the four-vector momentum, p, of a photon which is emitted along the x direction, in terms of [tex]\lambda0[/tex]

Give a matrix equation for the four-vector momentum, p', of this photon in the rest frame of the Earth, in terms of u, v and p.

Use this equation to show that the velocity, w, of the satellite in the rest frame of the Earth is given by

[tex]w=\frac{u+v}{1+\frac{uv}{c^2}}[/tex]

ii) and iii) I can do with ease (they are the easy bits after all)

I can't even seem to start parts i) or iv)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?