Relativity Thought Experiment: Speed Limits, Mass Changes & Aliens

• Thread starter tony.wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, when standing upright and moving at a relativistic velocity, the mass, width, pulse rate, and rate of ageing would change. For setting a safe and fuel-efficient speed limit, the equation v=s/t should be used, taking into account the relativistic time and proper time. For the third question, the aliens' perception of our food being cold is due to their fast time compared to our slower time, caused by the speed of light being much higher in their world. It is important to note that the speed of light in our world is not 30 m/s, but rather 3.0x10^8 m/s.
tony.wu
At first , I shoul say : I am sorry , just now i posta a question , but my answer is aplly other question. I have edited it now.

1) If you were standing upright, facing forward but moving at a relativistic velocity to your right, which of the following quantities would change : height, width , pulse rate, number of atoms in my body, mass , temperature, rate of ageing, girth (waistline), or net electrical charge ?

: I think the mass, width ,pulse rate and rate ageing are changed. rate ageing chage , I take the reason is twin paradox.
2) As the head traffic engineer for the department of highways, you are in charge of setting a safe but fuel-efficient speed limit on cars. Calculate a speed limit using relativistic equations and explain your reason for your choice of speed limit. Keep in mind that collisions cause changes in kinetic energy.

: My idear is v=s/t, in the relativity, t own two value, one is relativety time, one is proper time, but the s also have two value, so how can i think this question ? Please give me some idea or remind.

3)Assume light speed is 30m/s in our world, Aliens visiting your planet from another quadrant of the galaxy, where the speed of light is 3*10^8 m/s,say your food seems relatively cold. Explain.

: I think , because aliens world ,light speed is so fast, they look our world is slowly. as we cook hot food , because their time is fast, the food is cold.

P.S. : last question , I lose a condition , is light speed is 30 m/s in our world. all of these question is in a relativity thought experiment . Please help me check these answer again. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay if I get what you're saying you seem to have the idea for the first part. On the second part I don't really don't understand what you're saying for you're Idea. For the third part think about the rest energy equation... to them the rest energy would be negligable. Also the speed of light is not 30 m/s it is 300000000 m/s or 3.0x10^8 m/s

Thanks,I will do the question 2 again , I will try to write a clear dear.

tony.wu said:
3)Assume light speed is 30m/s in our world, Aliens visiting your planet from another quadrant of the galaxy, where the speed of light is 3*10^8 m/s,say your food seems relatively cold. Explain.

: I think , because aliens world ,light speed is so fast, they look our world is slowly. as we cook hot food , because their time is fast, the food is cold.

I think you have the right idea, but develop it further. What causes food to be hot? What's the maximum possible speed if the speed of light is 30 m/s?

1. What is the basis of the Relativity Thought Experiment?

The Relativity Thought Experiment explores the concept of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the laws of physics do not depend on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the speed of light play a role in the thought experiment?

The speed of light, denoted by "c", is a fundamental constant in the universe. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe, and nothing can travel faster than it.

3. How does mass change in the thought experiment?

In the thought experiment, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases according to the equation E=mc^2. This means that as an object's speed increases, its mass also increases, making it more difficult to accelerate.

4. What role do aliens play in the thought experiment?

The thought experiment considers the scenario of aliens traveling to Earth at close to the speed of light. This scenario allows us to examine the effects of relativity on objects with different frames of reference and how they perceive time, space, and mass.

5. What are the implications of the Relativity Thought Experiment?

The thought experiment highlights the fundamental principles of relativity and their impact on our understanding of the universe. It also demonstrates the limitations of our current understanding and the need for further exploration and research in the field of physics.