Relativity: Calculating Separation r' between Emission and Reception

• Thread starter Void123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the separation between the point of emission and reception of a light pulse in a moving reference frame, using the Lorentz transformations. The formula for length contraction is not applicable in this problem, and the time is calculated using the doppler effect. The speaker suggests rewriting the times in terms of length to obtain the desired answer.
Void123

Homework Statement

A light pulse is emitted at a position [tex]x_{A}[/tex] (horizontally) and is received at position [tex]x_{B} = x_{A} + r[/tex]. Considering that [tex]v = \beta c[/tex] for a moving reference frame, I must calculate the separation [tex]r'[/tex] between the point of emission and reception.

Homework Equations

[tex]x_{B} - x_{A} = \gamma(x_{B}' - x_{A}')[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation, solving for [tex]x_{B}' - x_{A}'[/tex], but the answer provided by the book gives me an answer that differs from mine by a few operation signs. But I cannot think how they got it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing down the spacetime coordinates in the rest frame for when the pulse is emitted and when it's received. Then use the Lorentz transformations to calculate the coordinates in the moving frame.

This is precisely what I have written above:

[tex]l_{moving} = \frac{l_{rest}}{\gamma}[/tex]

No, it isn't. That's the formula for length contraction, which isn't applicable for this problem because the emission and reception occur at different times.

Okay, for the time:

[tex]t_{2} = t_{1}'\sqrt{\frac{1 - \beta}{1 + \beta}}[/tex]

Essentially, this is the doppler effect.

Can I rewrite the times in terms of [tex]l[/tex] and [tex]l'[/tex] to get the answer I want?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that explains the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It includes two main theories: special relativity, which describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, and general relativity, which extends the theory to include the effects of gravity.

2. How is the separation between emission and reception calculated in relativity?

In relativity, the separation between emission and reception is calculated using the equation r' = c * (t' - t), where r' represents the separation between the two events in a moving reference frame, c is the speed of light, t' is the time measured in the moving frame, and t is the time measured in a stationary frame.

3. What is the significance of calculating the separation between emission and reception in relativity?

The calculation of separation between emission and reception in relativity is significant because it allows us to understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which occur when an object is moving at high speeds. It also helps us to accurately measure distances and time intervals in different reference frames.

4. Can relativity be applied to any situation?

The theory of relativity can be applied to any situation involving the relationship between space, time, and gravity. However, it is most commonly used in situations involving high speeds, such as in space travel or particle accelerators.

5. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for understanding the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS and has helped us to make more accurate predictions about the behavior of celestial objects, such as black holes.