Solving Plane Velocity Relative to Ground: Homework Help

• Thread starter theskyisgreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the problem is asking to find the speed of an airplane relative to the ground given its velocity of 189 m/s in a westerly direction and a wind speed of 50 m/s directed north. The solution involves adding the plane's velocity relative to the air and the air's velocity relative to the ground vectorially.
theskyisgreen

Homework Statement

An airplane has a velocity relative to the air of 189 m/s in a westerly direction. If the wind has a speed relative to the ground of 50 m/s directed to the north, what is the speed of the plane relative to the ground?

Homework Equations

I'm not entirely sure..

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured speed of plane relative to the ground = speed of plane relative to the air + speed of air relative to ground.
So I put in x=189+50
Our homeworks are put online, and I already found out this answer was wrong.

If anyone could help that'd be great! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just add them vectorially, were the plane's velocity relative to the ground.. I'm not sure what they mean exactly by relative to the air, considering the vectors are perpendicular.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a reference point or frame of reference. It is the difference between an object's velocity and the velocity of the reference point.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

To calculate relative velocity, you must first determine the velocities of both the object and the reference point. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the difference between the two velocities.

3. How do I solve for plane velocity relative to ground?

To solve for plane velocity relative to ground, you will need to gather information on the plane's velocity and the wind speed and direction. Then, use vector addition or subtraction to find the resultant velocity, which will be the plane's velocity relative to the ground.

4. What is the importance of understanding relative velocity in aviation?

Understanding relative velocity in aviation is crucial for pilots to accurately navigate and control their aircraft. It also helps in understanding the effects of wind on a plane's speed and direction.

5. Can you provide an example of solving for plane velocity relative to ground?

Sure, let's say a plane is flying with a velocity of 500 km/h in the east direction, and the wind is blowing at a speed of 50 km/h in the north direction. To find the plane's velocity relative to the ground, we would use vector addition to find the resultant velocity, which would be 502 km/h at a direction of 4.7 degrees north of east.