1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Questions

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    For some reason (most likely lack of coffee and sleep), I can't figure out these questions. I assume they all have to do with conservation of energy and/or momentum, but I'm lame and need help.

Explain clearly why the following processes are impossible.
    1) A single photon strikes a stationary electron and gives up all its energy to the electron.

2)A single photon in free space is transformed into an electron and a positron.

3) A fast positron and a stationary electron annihilate, producing only one photon.

I also have a million other questions, but I'll keep my first post short.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should keep the post about the same size, but ask only one question and give us an attempt at trying to solve it (as per the forum rules). Hint: yes, they have to do with conservation of energy/momentum. Try looking up 'four momentum'.
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    Work out for each of those three what conservation of momentum AND conservation of energy [or equivalently, conservation of 4-momentum] would imply. You should find there is no way to satisfy both.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?