Check My Relativity Video for an Engineer | Answer His Question on Light's Speed

In summary: No, Maxwell's equations do give support to the assertion that the speed of light is locally the same.
zimbabwe
I made a relativity video for my father as he's been asking a long time.

His question is basically how can light always travel at the same speed no matter where you are. So to answer it and since he's far away I made this video

If someone could check it and let me know if it's wrong or any points are unclear before I send it to him. He worked as an engineer so the maths should be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems accurate to me. But I don't think you've achieved an explanation of why every observer sees light traveling at the same speed. You've demonstrated via the transverse light clock that time dilation happens.

One reason ( rather than an explanation ) is that Maxwell's equations tell us that the speed of light is a function of two universal constants ( scalars) which are naturally Lorentz invariant.

One reason ( rather than an explanation ) is that Maxwell's equations tell us that the speed of light is a function of two universal constants ( scalars) which are naturally Lorentz invariant.
Nothing could illustrate better than this, the harm done by teaching SI units. The speed of light is not "a function of two universal constants". Look up 'Gaussian units' on Wikipedia, and read how ε0 and μ0 are not in any way fundamental, just an artifact of the SI unit system.

Thank you Bill.

Thank you I've put your comment up on the video. When I finished it, I did start wondering how length contraction plays a role. I haven't really heard much about Gaussian units but I will give it a go.

Bill_K said:
Nothing could illustrate better than this, the harm done by teaching SI units. The speed of light is not "a function of two universal constants". Look up 'Gaussian units' on Wikipedia, and read how ε0 and μ0 are not in any way fundamental, just an artifact of the SI unit system.
Oh, that's a shock to me. So the idea that ε0 and μ0 are 'properties' is wrong ?

Does this mean that Maxwell's equations give no support to the assertion that the speed of light is locally the same ?

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by gravity.

2. How does the theory of relativity relate to light's speed?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, the speed of light will always appear to be the same.

3. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in a flat, unchanging universe. General relativity expands on this by including the effects of gravity and the curvature of space-time.

4. How is the theory of relativity important in science and technology?

The theory of relativity has had a significant impact on modern physics and technology. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is used in fields such as astronomy, GPS systems, and particle accelerators.

5. Is it possible for an engineer to understand the theory of relativity?

While the theory of relativity is a complex and advanced concept, it is possible for engineers to understand its principles and implications. Many engineers use the theory of relativity in their work, particularly in fields such as aerospace and telecommunications.