Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity with charged particles and fluid approximation

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    Hello community, I'm new here.

I'm using FORTRAN to model the motion of electrons and ions when accelerated under a high voltage potential. I'm using a fluid approximation and MHD-like equations (conservation of mass, energy, momentum) and a finite volumes numerical method to solve the equations.
    The thing is that when the electron density is high, the particles' speed exceed the speed of light. I thought that replacing m with γm would fix the problem, at least as a first-order approximation, but it didn't. I'm afraid I need to replace everything with its corresponding 4-vector but this requires a complete rewrite of the program from start.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    If you wish to fully account for relativistic effects, you will have no choice but to use the relativistic version of the MHD equations; this automatically brings you into the realm of 4-vectors and Minkowski tensors. No way around this, I'm afraid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook