1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity with stationary rod

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    An observer in S' sees a stationary rod lying in the x'-y' plane and making an angle [itex]\phi'[/itex] with the x' axis. Show that
    [itex]\tan{\phi'}=\frac{1}{\gamma} \tan{\phi}[/itex]

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle the rod makes with the x axis according to an observer in S.

so far I have [itex]\tan{\phi'} = \frac{y'}{x'}=\frac{y}{\gamma(x-vt)}=\frac{1}{\gamma} \frac{y}{x-vt}[/itex]

if i could just get rid of that vt, i'd be there but i can't seem to get it to go away...

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Relativity

I assume the rod is moving in the x direction. In the S frame, let the length in the x direction be Lx and it's length in the y direction be Ly. In the S' frame, the length in the y direction will be the same i.e. L'y = Ly, and the length in the x direction will be shorter by a factor of √(1 - v²), i.e. L'x = √(1 - v²) Lx. So we get

tan θ = Ly / Lx

tan θ' = L'y / L'x = Ly/Lx√(1 - v²)

4. May 2, 2009 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Relativity

Your mistake was that you took tan θ to be y/x. If the coordinates of the tips of the rod are (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), then tan θ will be ∆y/∆x where ∆x = x2 - x1 and ∆y = y2 - y1. You should apply the Lorentz transform to both (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) to obtain ∆x' and ∆y'. tan θ' will then be ∆y'/∆x'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook