Relaxation Methods for Your Academic Career

• Thread starter Clever-Name
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of having a relaxation method during stressful academic periods. Some suggestions include isolating oneself from work, engaging in simple repetitive tasks, practicing meditation, playing music, going to the park, reducing caffeine intake, getting enough sleep, and spending time with friends. It is also mentioned that humor and physical activity, such as dancing or martial arts, can be effective in relieving stress.
Clever-Name
I'm sure everyone at some point in their academic career has come to a point where they just can't study anymore and feel like they're going insane. What are your methods to relaxation? Are there any suggestions you can give to new students who might be encountering similar situations that you have in the past such that you might be able to provide some suggestions?

I haven't come across a thread like this in my time here on these forums but I think this would be an important one to make known. Having a good relaxation method could do wonders for making your academic life enjoyable.

I'm currently dealing with grad school applications, scholarship applications, presidency of my student association, thesis, conference talks, and my full time course schedule... I am nearing my breaking point.

My relaxation includes:

Isolating myself from work. Either lie down on my bed and listen to relaxing music or go sit on the couch and play some video games. Whatever makes me focus on something else other than my textbooks on the bookshelf. I have started reading some non-science books to occupy my mind with something else. I am currently on the 3rd Game of Thrones books and I highly recommend it as a series to read.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some people get solace from doing activities where you don't really have to think at all like very simple repetitive tasks like gardening, running/walking, playing certain mindless video games (the ones where you can just immerse yourself without thinking too much about it), and the other things like music, movies, TV, and so on.

All these have a common theme where the activity has a reduced level of thinking that can calm people down at some level mentally.

Meditation takes this to a more extreme level and for the right people with the right techniques, it can be extremely effective.

Also if you like to play music, playing music or doing improv where you just let your fingers (or other extremities) do what they want can be effective.

You might want to think about an activity of reduced thinking that you like in the context of the above responses (or ones that haven't been considered at all).

chill_factor said:
here's some articles on relaxation methods that might be useful.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15808232

Thanks for reading my post first.

@chiro

I like what you have said; I am not a meditation type of person but I do acknowledge the practice, I think it would be very helpful for those in stressful situations. I hope people will read this.

I am going to the park near the beach, I look for a shaded place and just relaxing looking at the sky.

I find it quite annoying to stay at home and play video games etc, I need to refresh my brain from the indoors. I do it quite a lot...

Today I felt as if I am in Hawaii or some exotic resort...

Thank god I'm not the only one, haha. I'm in exactly the same boat, except my thesis and conferences are next semester - this semester I'm starting on a paper (:/ and :D at the same time).

Well the simplest thing I suppose that I do if I'm feeling stressed, is cut down on caffeine (it really helps), get enough sleep, and make sure I take Friday and Saturday night off & hang out with friends without drinking - in that order. Beyond that, I read online comics, and listen to some music when I want a break. Also, just talking to people btwn classes, and coming up with cheesy physics jokes / good stories / projects that would be cool if any of us had the time to do them. (humor does wonders)

Something that's helped me is Lindy Hop and Blues. Dancing is both relaxing and physical activity.

I took martial arts all through upper division classes. Helped tremendously.

What are relaxation methods and why are they important for my academic career?

Relaxation methods are techniques or strategies that can help individuals manage stress, improve focus, and increase overall well-being. In an academic setting, these methods can help students and researchers cope with the demands and pressures of their work, leading to better academic performance and a healthier work-life balance.

What are some effective relaxation methods that I can incorporate into my academic routine?

There are many different relaxation methods that have been found to be effective for academic professionals. Some examples include deep breathing exercises, meditation, yoga, progressive muscle relaxation, and guided imagery. It is important to find the method that works best for you and to practice it regularly for maximum benefits.

How can relaxation methods help me manage stress and anxiety related to my academic career?

Stress and anxiety can have a negative impact on academic performance and overall well-being. Relaxation methods can help individuals manage these emotions by promoting relaxation, reducing muscle tension, and calming the mind. This can lead to increased focus, improved problem-solving abilities, and better overall mental health.

Do relaxation methods have any scientific backing?

Yes, there have been numerous studies that have shown the effectiveness of relaxation methods in reducing stress, anxiety, and improving overall well-being. These methods have also been found to have positive effects on academic performance. However, it is important to note that results may vary for each individual and it is best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations.

Are there any potential drawbacks or risks associated with using relaxation methods?

Most relaxation methods are considered safe and have minimal risks when practiced correctly. However, some individuals may experience discomfort or adverse reactions when trying certain techniques. It is important to listen to your body and stop if you feel any discomfort. Additionally, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new relaxation method, especially if you have any underlying health conditions.