1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relaxation Oscillator Multisim

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am doing page 4 of the lab attached, and I am trying to simulate the relaxation oscillator in Figure 2. However, I am not getting a square wave like the lab suggests I should get. I have been able to do the derivation at the bottom of the page.

I have attached my multisim diagram as well as my transient analysis of the probe at the output of the op-amp. What is going on here??

Based on my calculation of the period T, using R=1000 Ω and C = 100 μF, I get a period of .220 seconds, and here the spacing between the ''squares'' (which are not very squarey) is slightly under 4 seconds. It also goes above my rail of 5 V.

I'm also stuck on the derivation on page 6,

Vout = -∫Vin/RC dt and proving that it outputs a triangle wave from a square wave.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

I have figured out that part about the relaxation oscillator, and my multisim now works. I am on the part about the triangle wave generator (page 7). I have derived the relationship, and now I am stuck making my triangle wave output.

I just took the circuit from the previous slide as my square wave and attached it to the triangle generator, and the oscillator just won't read a triangle.

The question asks to pick values of R and C such that the triangle waveform will have an amplitude of 4 V. I am a bit confused about this part I believe.

I just said that the y-axis is 4, and since f=10, then the time, or x-axis, is 0.1. That means RC = 40. So C = 40/R. Choose R=1000, then C = .04 F.

The supply is 5 V from my relaxation oscillator, so my square wave should be +/- 5V, but the oscilloscope for my triangle generator gives me nothing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted